White Labs WL029 Kolsch Cold Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtoe

Reaction score
I see people talking about fermenting with this strain at very low temps, but white labs recommends 65-69. Would I need a starter to go lower than that range?

Assuming you're doing a 5+ gallon batch, you will need a starter. I just did one at 64 for a few days and let it rise to 68. Turned out good.

I use 029 regularly. And pitch at 62 letting it rise to 64. Above 68 and I get to many esters for a kolsch in my preference.

Agreed...sweet spot for this yeast is lower than White Labs suggests. I have used it as low as 58 with great results. I always do a starter with any yeast I use.

Thanks guys, this helps. I ended pitching at about 69 degrees, then lowered to 67 overnight. Started bubbling after about 12-18 hours. I then a lowered temps in my freezer a degree or 2 every 1-2 hours until it overnighted at 63. Still going strong this morning and I'm thinking of getting it down even lower, maybe 60. A little concerned about changing temps too fast. Suggestions in strategy?

I did a standard Kolsch with 029 last winter and fermented at ambient 68F house temps. I did another this spring and did 62F temp controlled. The 62F version was superior in all aspects to my tastes.

Used starters on both as I am a strong proponent of starters.

Back