White labs slushy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSterling

Reaction score
So I bought a vile of white labs yeast and put it in the fridge. Well it seem that it was sitting a little to far in the back and got a little cold. I pulled the vile out and it was like a slushy. Is it all over? Is there still hope for this yeast?

Make a starter and find out.

Use some DME and make 1 Liter of a 1.040 wort and throw your yeast in there. Do this the day before you brew or a few hours before. If the starter begins fermenting then the yeast are fine and viable.

H-ost said:
Make a starter and find out.

Use some DME and make 1 Liter of a 1.040 wort and throw your yeast in there. Do this the day before you brew or a few hours before. If the starter begins fermenting then the yeast are fine and viable.

This is the first thing I thought about doing. I'm just hoping that it works. Stuff is not cheep.

it'll be fine. i once froze a smack pack rock solid. thawed, made a starter, fermented out fine.

Back