White Labs Seal Missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
Got a vial of White Labs yeast and the black plastic band under the cap is missing. It is the band that is connected to the cap when new and cracks/breaks from the cap when you open it for the first time.

Checking with the retailer but curious on your thoughts. Do you think it's okay to use or pushing my luck. I was about to make a starter for the weekend and noticed it before I unscrewed the cap.

I'd be worried someone used some of it and topped it up with water then returned it.

Think I'd just return it and get a new vial, or better yet a Wyeast smack pack.

It appears fine, from what I can tell, but I think you are right. Best to just maybe write this one off. Kind of screwed with my plans but I guess maybe on to plan B, which is the other batch I thankfully got the ingredients for at the same time.

It's hard to tell if it is fine. A water top off is easy and I'd probably return it.

I am not going to bother using it. Will ask to get another one sent to me I guess. Guess I knew it wasn't worth risking, but suppose I needed just a touch of convincing. Thanks guys for the responses!

Don't worry about it - happens a lot with White Labs vials. It'll be a thing of the past very soon with the upcoming new flex cell packaging!

Don't worry about it - happens a lot with White Labs vials. It'll be a thing of the past very soon with the upcoming new flex cell packaging!

I wouldn't know if it happens a lot, but it seems odd to me that some of their vials would have no obvious seal on them. Just don't know why some would and some wouldn't. Not at all disagreeing with your statement as I have only had four vials of their stuff so far, but just noting it seems like an weird thing to be commonplace. I honestly don't think someone topped it up with water, but I don't want to waste my time and money on a batch if this stuff is contaminated, tampered with....

I wouldn't know if it happens a lot, but it seems odd to me that some of their vials would have no obvious seal on them. Just don't know why some would and some wouldn't. Not at all disagreeing with your statement as I have only had four vials of their stuff so far, but just noting it seems like an weird thing to be commonplace. I honestly don't think someone topped it up with water, but I don't want to waste my time and money on a batch if this stuff is contaminated, tampered with....

I handle 300-350 vials of White Labs yeast each quarter, sometimes more. Usually 5-10 of them will have cracked or stripped seals that got damaged during processing, packaging or shipping. The fragments are usually in the bags they package the vials in when shipping them. I would say that it's exceedingly unlikely that someone messed with your vial. That said, it shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced. I'd contact your retailer AND White Labs to let them know.

I handle 300-350 vials of White Labs yeast each quarter, sometimes more. Usually 5-10 of them will have cracked or stripped seals that got damaged during processing, packaging or shipping. The fragments are usually in the bags they package the vials in when shipping them. I would say that it's exceedingly unlikely that someone messed with your vial. That said, it shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced. I'd contact your retailer AND White Labs to let them know.

I sent an email to the retailer a while ago and heard back. He basically said what you did - that the bands/seals can break off during shipping.... Said there should be no problem with the yeast and was more than happy to send me a new one if I want. He also mentioned, like you, that this will soon be a thing of the past with the new packaging. I will go ahead and use it. Really appreciate your feedback!

It'll be a thing of the past very soon with the upcoming new flex cell packaging!

What's this new White labs package all about? Are they going with a smack pack too? I like White labs, but the Wyeast smack pack is a no-brainer, I buy that over white labs vials every time I buy yeast.

I sent an email to the retailer a while ago and heard back. He basically said what you did - that the bands/seals can break off during shipping.... Said there should be no problem with the yeast and was more than happy to send me a new one if I want. He also mentioned, like you, that this will soon be a thing of the past with the new packaging. I will go ahead and use it. Really appreciate your feedback!

If it broke off during shipping then the band would be in the box. :) but I buy what they're saying and I guess I would just use it after they responded. I too would want some reassurance.

These days, with all the fanatics out there I would not use ANY food product that was meant to be sealed. On zealous anti-alcohol imbecile with some poison.......

These days, with all the fanatics out there I would not use ANY food product that was meant to be sealed. On zealous anti-alcohol imbecile with some poison.......

I suppose it is possible, but I felt reassured by the retailer and the feedback on this thread. Starter is happily going right now.

Back