White Labs Cry Havoc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Has anybody used this? From the description it looks similar to Cali lager yeast.
Guess I'll find out - got some ordered. Is this stuff top fermenting or bottom?

That's Charlie Papazian's yeast. He hasn't said where he got it, but hints that it was a major macrobrewery. It's almost certainly descended from a lager (bottom-fermenting) yeast. As with many yeasts, you get lager-like or ale-like characters depending on fermentation temperature.

Actually it is descended from Budweiser yeast. It has an apple-like flavor to it. I have used it for both ales and lagers and like it, but that is just my opinion. :)

Cool, last I heard we just knew it was from some major American brewery. Where's the intel come from?

I used this yeast once and had terrible results. The problem is that this is advertised as a hybrid ale/lager yeast. I fermented at the high end of the suggested range for ales for this yeast (the 70's) but ended up with a beer that was cloyingly sweet and undrinkable. I have used Wyeast 2112 many times and have brewed steam beer with great results. If I were ever to use this yeast again I would treat it as a traditional lager yeast and not an ale yeast.

Sorry, I couldn't find a newer thread on this topic (is there an easy way to do that?).

Something I don't understand about Cry Havoc is just how versatile its "hybridity" (?) makes it.

• How's it act when it's in the gulf between typical ale and lager temps?
  • I live in San Diego and don't have any means of temp control -- so, I wonder, will Cry Havoc let me "cheat" and lager something even though I'm not able to keep it at preferred lagering temps?
  • Slightly unrelated to this post, but, stemming from the above point: suppose I had a beer fermented with CH that was otherwise an ale--I wonder if I couldn't add a touch more CH and then bottle condition in the fridge to simulate lagering? :confused:

I've got something made from Cry Havoc in secondary (all the while at about 70-72º), so we'll see how it goes. (The beer, though, was a "hmmm, let's use my leftover malts and stuff and see what happens" 3-gallon batch, so it may not speak well to the quality of the yeast...)

Thank you, as always, O wise zymurgists and drunkards. :)

Cheers,
P.

Latest posts

Back