White Labs 566- SLOW FERMENTER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison 6 1/2 weeks ago and pitched a healthy starter of 566. The beer slowly fermented; after 4 weeks it was at 1.016 but it wasn't stuck because it continued to ferment. After almost 7 weeks now (still in Primary), the gravity is down to 1.009, 84% attenuation. Anyone have similar experiences with this yeast? It's supposed to be the faster fermenting Saison strain! Any suggestions?

Sounds like a case of lazy yeast. Next time get the yeast on the treadmill to help perk them up a bit.

Seriously though, your recipe, the fermentation temperature, amount of yeast pitched, wort aeration, and yeast health all play a part in yeast performance.

At least the little guys did their job since you got 84% attenuation. Was everything else "by the book" concerning this batch? Good temperature control, appropriate amount of yeast pitched, etc?

Thanks for the insight. I pitched yeast within the best by date, just less than Mr Malty recommends, fermented in the recommended temps, had a grain bill of mostly pils with a touch of wheat and some candi sugar, and read bed time stories to the batch everynight! The only possible flaw is I shake instead of inject O2.

The thing is I was trying to bottle and free up the carboy but im hesitant because I know how Saison strains have a tendency to attenuate in the 90%s, and I've had my share of bottle bombs to learn from experience.

Anyone used this strain? What FGs and/or attenuation percentages have you finished with?

I had quite the opposite experience.
OG 1054
FG 1005

Pitched a vial into 3 gallons, fermented at 78. Took about 2 weeks or less. Didn't take a reading before that. Oh. And I just shook to aerate.

Back