White IPA - need help with hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsitsad

Reaction score
I'm brewing a white ipa for an upcoming competition. I was assigned this style of beer and although I'm not a huge fan, I'm excited to give it a go. I've found some great examples online but haven't ever had one I really enjoyed. Heavy Seas Riptide is the only one that comes to mind.

I love a good west coast ipa, and would totally love to bomb this thing out with Citra as I have a pound of it looking to get used. But part of the competition is to stay true to style and will be BJCP judged. Here is what I've come up with so far:

5 gal:

7.0 lbs Rahr 2-row
4.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
0.8 lb Unmalted Wheat
0.8 lb Flaked Oats

Belgian Wit Yeast

1 oz Orange Peel
1 oz Lemon Zest

I just need some help with the hops now. I've read about lemondrop which seems like it could be really appropriate in this style, but I really don't know where to go. Like I said above I have an abundance of citra, but wouldnt want to use it unless I knew it could come out good

:mug:

Go ahead with Citra and lemondrop Id say. Ive been trying out a number of white IPA recipes. The best commerical example by far IMO is Anchorage's Galaxy White IPA but its also spiked with brett. The classic commercial example si deschutes Chainbreaker

My best one so far was made with Conan and Wyeast Forbidden Fruit. I used about 30% wheat, 20% flaked wheat, 45% pils, and a bit of aromatic and cane sugar. I hopstanded the bejesus out of it like I normally would for my IPAs. For white IPAs, ive found its best to steer clear of piney,dank,resinous hops and shoot for citric or spicy ones. Im on the fence about floral, I dont think it goes to well with wit esters. Amarillo seems almost tailor made to fit into white IPAs. My last one used Ella Amarillo and Jaryllo. Its still in its first week of fermentation though so I cant comment on how the combination did

part of the competition is to stay true to style and will be BJCP judged.
:mug:

I may be wrong but i don't really think there are that many parameters yet for this type of style, allowing you to really work off the cuff and make it how you want. I'm not sure how the orange peel and lemon zest will work in an IPA, but I'm sure the citra would compliment them as the citra has that orange oil, lemon zest, passion fruit thing going on already

My best one so far was made with Conan and Wyeast Forbidden Fruit. I used about 30% wheat, 20% flaked wheat, 45% pils, and a bit of aromatic and cane sugar. I hopstanded the bejesus out of it like I normally would for my IPAs. For white IPAs, ive found its best to steer clear of piney,dank,resinous hops and shoot for citric or spicy ones. Im on the fence about floral, I dont think it goes to well with wit esters. Amarillo seems almost tailor made to fit into white IPAs. My last one used Ella Amarillo and Jaryllo. Its still in its first week of fermentation though so I cant comment on how the combination did

I was under the impression that witbier yeasts were almost a requirement to the style. How did conan and forbidden fruit give that spicy note that corresponds with the style?

I may be wrong but i don't really think there are that many parameters yet for this type of style, allowing you to really work off the cuff and make it how you want. I'm not sure how the orange peel and lemon zest will work in an IPA, but I'm sure the citra would compliment them as the citra has that orange oil, lemon zest, passion fruit thing going on already

from 2015 BJCP, which this will be judged on:

Specialty IPA: White IPA

Overall Impression: A fruity, spicy, refreshing version of an
American IPA, but with a lighter color, less body, and featuring
either the distinctive yeast and/or spice additions typical of a
Belgian witbier.

Aroma: Moderate fruity esters – banana, citrus, perhaps
apricot. May have light to moderate spice aroma such as
coriander or pepper from actual spice additions and/or Belgian
yeast. Hop aroma is moderately-low to medium, usually
American or New World type with stone fruit, citrus and
tropical aromas. Esters and spices may reduce hop aroma
perception. Light clove-like phenolics may be present.

Appearance:
Pale to deep golden color, typically hazy.
Moderate to large, dense white head that persists.
Flavor: Light malt flavor, perhaps a bit bready. Fruity esters
are moderate to high, with citrus flavors similar to grapefruit
and orange, or stone fruit like apricot. Sometimes banana-like
flavors are present. Hop flavor is medium-low to medium-high
with citrusy or fruity aspects. Some spicy clove-like flavors
from Belgian yeast may be present. Coriander and orange peel
flavors may be found as well. Bitterness is high which leads to a
moderately dry, refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with medium to medium-high
carbonation. Typically no astringency, although highly spiced
examples may exhibit a light astringency which is not
distracting.
Comments: A craft beer interpretation of American IPA
crossed with a witbier.

History: American craft brewers developed the style as a late
winter/spring seasonal beer to appeal to Wit and IPA drinkers
alike.
Characteristic Ingredients: Pale and wheat malts, Belgian
yeast, citrusy American type hops.

Style Comparison: Similar to a Belgian Wit style except
highly hopped to the level of an American IPA. Bitter and
hoppy like the IPA but fruity, spicy and light like the Wit.
Typically the hop aroma and flavor are not as prominent as in
an American IPA.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.065
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.016
SRM: 5 – 8 ABV: 5.5 – 7.0%
Commercial Examples: Blue Point White IPA, Deschutes
Chainbreaker IPA, Harpoon The Long Thaw, New Belgium
Accumulation

good piont. There is a specialty IPA category now consistign of White/Black/Red/Brown/Belgian IPAs. All you need to do is the specify which subcategory yours is being entered as. The BJCP basically says its a hopped up witbier. Definitely a belgian yeast, and you can decide whether to use wit spices

Forbidden fruit is a wit yeast. At least according to Wyeast and the research I did on it. I just wanted somethign different than 3944, it got boring to me. I liked the idea of using Conan (my go to IPA yeast) for its silky body and higher attenuation

man this would have been nice to know a few weeks ago when i brewed a Belgian IPA...i guess i need to dl the new list!

Maybe throw in some Summer hops, too. According to Hopunion, they give some apricot/citrus. Summer/Citra sounds like a good hop combo to me.

45-50% 2 Row,
40% Flaked or Torrified Wheat(MUST NOT be malted.
5%Oats
5%Rice
High Alpha Hop Bitter
Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and Aroma
Sweet Orange peel,Tangerine peel,INDIAN Coriander.
Must use Belgian Wheat Yeast(or some type of wheat yeast,at least.It will be great beer,
but will not be White IPA,without it.)
151-154 Mash/Mid range ferment
Bottle or keg as soon as done with a healthy amount of yeast
still in suspension.Drink.Repeat:rockin:

Back