White IPA all grain recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one I found a year ago and it was good enough that I made it again today. It was being dubbed a Chainbreaker clone.

8# pilsner
3.5# wheat malt
2# bohemian wheat
0.25# rolled oats

Mash @ 158. Sparge @ 170.

0.5oz nugget @ 60
0.5oz centennial @ 30
1.0oz cascade @ 30
0.5oz centennial @ 10
0.5oz cascade @ 10
0.5oz nugget @ 10
0.5oz coriander @ 10
1.0oz sweet orange peel @ 10
0.5oz citra @ 7 days
0.5oz cascade @ 7 days

My notes say Wyeast 3942 but I used WL001 today.

I've been obessing over trying to make a great white IPA recipe and here's my latest one. Turned out pretty damn good if I do say so myself. I wanted it to feature this new-ish hop that I've been equally obsessed with : Hallertau Blanc. It's kinda a more clean, melony version of Nelson Sauvin.

OG/FG: 1.065 / 1.012
5lb pilsner
3lb wheat
2.5lb flaked wheat
1/2lb aromatic
1lb cane sugar

mash at 148F for 60 min
mashout at 168 for 10 min
158F seems ridiculously high to mash at for a wit IPA. I woudnt even do a stout at 158F...

@60min: 1 oz merkur (or any other high % bittering hop)
@10min: 1 oz hallertau blanc / 1 oz amarillo
@0min: 2 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz amarillo
*hopstand - steep for 30min after flameout before chilling*
@dry: 2 oz hallertau blanc

@5min: 1 oz coriander and 1 oz orange peel

For the yeast, I've tried going with a wit yeast, but this one I did a 50-50 blend of WLP400 and Conan

Thanks for the replies.
I'm planning on this being my next beer so I have a few more questions.
Do I have to use pilsner malt? Can I sub with 2-Row?
I was thinking that I would use wlp001 or US-05. Just to get a clean finish on the beer but what about blending with a little wlp300 or WB-06?
Will a mixture of American and new German hops work together? Like Citra,cascade, centennial, maybe 7 c's and hallerteau blanc, huell Mellon work together?
Looking to make this a citrus,fruit explosion with a crisp finish to drink on summer nights on the patio.

I've been obessing over trying to make a great white IPA recipe and here's my latest one. Turned out pretty damn good if I do say so myself. I wanted it to feature this new-ish hop that I've been equally obsessed with : Hallertau Blanc. It's kinda a more clean, melony version of Nelson Sauvin.

OG/FG: 1.065 / 1.012
5lb pilsner
3lb wheat
2.5lb flaked wheat
1/2lb aromatic
1lb cane sugar

mash at 148F for 60 min
mashout at 168 for 10 min
158F seems ridiculously high to mash at for a wit IPA. I woudnt even do a stout at 158F...

@60min: 1 oz merkur (or any other high % bittering hop)
@10min: 1 oz hallertau blanc / 1 oz amarillo
@0min: 2 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz amarillo
*hopstand - steep for 30min after flameout before chilling*
@dry: 2 oz hallertau blanc

@5min: 1 oz coriander and 1 oz orange peel

For the yeast, I've tried going with a wit yeast, but this one I did a 50-50 blend of WLP400 and Conan

How did this turn out? Was looking at the AHA chain breaker clone last night and thinking it would be really nice with hallertau blanc.

How did this turn out? Was looking at the AHA chain breaker clone last night and thinking it would be really nice with hallertau blanc.

I've made it around 4 times now. Kept the malt bill the same but switched around the yeasts and the hops based on what I had. I really enjoyed it. The last one I didnt add any spices though and I think I want to keep them next time. Seems more IPA than witbier

Back