White floats at top of my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newby94

Reaction score
I did my first brew put it in primary for a week then moved it to secondary 2 days ago. It is clearing up nicely but I am getting white floaties at the top of the beer. Is this normal? Will they settle to the bottom or do I need to do something to filter them out. I don't want them in the final product

Thought I would post some pics of it ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388512067.407974.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388512084.993102.jpg

This looks ok to me. When I first read "white floaties" I thought of something else. If the white floaties look like huge sections of melted wax that has cracks through it....not so good. But this looks just fine!

This looks ok to me. When I first read "white floaties" I thought of something else. If the white floaties look like huge sections of melted wax that has cracks through it....not so good. But this looks just fine!

Great! Will they settle to the bottom or how would I filter them out?

They may or may not settle. Ideally you'd ferment in a controlled temperature environment (fridge, chest freezer) where you can drop the temps to 40 degrees after fermentation ends. The cool temperature drops everything out of suspension. This is called cold crashing

If you can't control the temperature just try to siphon around it if it doesn't settle out on its own after a few days

Mostly looks like yeast floaters & krausen left overs. But I think I see some small white bubbles toward the bottom of pic #2?...

Mostly looks like yeast floaters & krausen left overs. But I think I see some small white bubbles toward the bottom of pic #2?...

No bubbles on the bottom but on pic 1 their are little bubbles on the top.

That's still fermenting for sure and needs at least two weeks left alone before thinking about the next stage.

Top tip Shine a torch at it and watch those floaties go up and down.

That's still fermenting for sure and needs at least two weeks left alone before thinking about the next stage.

Top tip Shine a torch at it and watch those floaties go up and down.

Yes they are going up and down. The recipe called for 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary. I'm 2 days into the second week. The airlock is not bubbling at all anymore. Is that normal?

At this stage take no notice at all of the airlock, it may bubble once in three days, and for sure you will miss it !
Use the torch tip, if there's movement it's not done, if there isn't movement it still probably isn't done, wait and wait then do the SG

Fermentation needs to be allowed plenty of time to complete. Regardless of what the recipe says about fermentation time, you need to let this go for at least another week before you think about checking the FG. I have never brewed a beer that was ready to bottle in 7 days. As a rule, I don't even think about checking the FG until at least 14 days. Most of my brews go longer than that. In the end, it's all about what kind of brew you want to have. Nothing is worse than having bottle bombs blowing green beer and glass all over the place because you didn't give the beer enough time before you bottled it.

Back