White flaky things in filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mal_wilson

Reaction score
Hi im new to making mead, and i have some white flaky things in my filter in the funnel, from moving it out of a bucket and into a carboy.
I have used a little dap in it could it just be that and undissolved they are hard if that helps.
Its also fairly sower not sure if this is a normal thing as i havent added any fruit or anything. did i just make 5 gallons of vinegar lol
Im useing the 5 gallon version of brays one month mead, lol i realize now buying 5 gallon carboys wasnt the best idea when learning how to make mead.

Did you use raw or minimally processed honey? If so, it's probably just wax.

Yea i got some raw honey, should it be kinda sour though? ive heard its supposed to be until some aging but im kinda worried doing my first batch.
Thanks for the reply btw

If those hard white flakes become malleable in your hands and you used raw honey, then yes, it could very well be wax.
You didn't say how long you let it sit while clearing, but with BOMM I'm assuming it has to be at least a month. Filtering and getting it off the must on the bottom will help it not taste so sour. This is something we all need to hear, what I need to hear every now and then. Give it time
Those who know me will say I'm not the most patient person they know. We've all made batches that were less than impressive, but a funny thing happens if you let it sit for a while. The mead mellows out and the sour/bitterness disappears.
Racking and filtering to another carboy helps tremendously. Don't beat yourself up if the first batch doesn't hit a home run. (Another thing I have to keep reminding myself.)
Most recipes are for 5 gallon carboys/buckets. That doesn't mean all your batches need to start there. Let's not kid ourselves, that's pretty heavy on the wallet.
A couple of one gallon carboys are relatively cheap , even plastic milk jugs properly washed out can be used. When you find a recipe that works, scale it up to five gallons. Your budget will thank you and your significant other will yell at you less.

Latest posts

Back