White and black specs in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiphop

Reaction score
I need some help! My friend and I made an IPA and are now getting some white and black specs in our beer. (See attached photo) no idea what they are but they sink to the bottom. The beer was kegged and not bottled. It was placed in secondary fermentation and then kegged. No off flavors and new o rings on keg. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1717F4B6-0AF7-4864-9C2D-99F4D80B59E0.jpeg
    1717F4B6-0AF7-4864-9C2D-99F4D80B59E0.jpeg
    971.5 KB · Views: 108
Just looks like sediment to me. Did you crash cool prior to transfering to the kegs. If not it's all going to settle in the bottom of the keg and can kick up if your not careful. Cheers

We did cold crash it in secondary. What do you mean “if your not careful”? We have no plans to move the keg until it’s empty.

If you hadn't crashed prior to racking to kegs all the sediment ends up in the bottom of your kegs. After a few pours it clears up but if you knocked the keg or moved it the sediment gets kicked up again. If you don't move your kegs then it won't matter. Cheers

When was the last time you cleaned your lines and taps? I had some black stuff in a beer and turns out it was due to dirty taps.

Back