Whiskey barrel porter Brewers Best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
I seen some mention that they have tried this kit and have soaked the chips in whiskey in addition to what was there already.
My question is, after looking at the chips, and the bag they are in, there is also a good amount of dust with them.
So, should I soak them now, with brewing this weekend in mind and if so, put all chips and dust in the soak?
Then do I put just enough whiskey to cover the chips and then pour the whole thing in the secondary?
My thought was not to waste the dust that has been soaking as well, as it might add some oaky ness to the batch.
If you brewed this , how did you do it?

Subscribed, I've had this kit in the box for a few months, it's probably next up to be made. I was gonna soak them in a pint of JD I have sitting around and then just brew by the instructions.

I'd love to hear any input about the dust, has me worried about off flavors.....

I haven't done this exact kit but something similar in a RIS.

I soaked the oak chips in whiskey for about a week just to make sure they were saturated, then dumped the entire bottle in the secondary. With that said, not sure if soaking for a week was necessary.

Oh and for the dust. It should settle out when you either rack to the secondary or bottle.

I have this exact one in secondary right now and will probably bottle this weekend. I didn't really notice much dust in mine but I also didn't soak the chips in any extra whiskey (didn't have any at the time). Tasted a sample yesterday and it is very good, not much whiskey flavor but a nice oak flavor though.

Back