Whirlfloc in partial volume boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
I know some people (like John Palmer) recommend not using whirlfloc in extract brews, but I need a way to clear my beer without cold crashing or racking to secondary with gelatin, etc. I can't always cold crash until I get a dedicated fridge just for brewing.

My question is, is there any harm in adding a full whirfloc tablet to a partial volume wort boil? For most recipes I make my final volume will be 5 gallons but I only boil 2-3 gallons in the kettle. I used a whole tablet in my 2 gallon boil yesterday and didn't really notice any difference in the amount of cold break, but I do see a lot of big chunks of junk floating around in the fermenter. Since it was such a low volume boil (sticking to recipe I was given) I just dumped the trub in the kettle into the primary with the wort.

So, whirlfloc doesn't help clear extract brews? I always seem to end up with chill haze in my extract brews and I'm not sure how else to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back