Whirlfloc and pellet hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownRightAft

Reaction score
I used whirlfloc and pellet hops for the first time, and when I poured my wort into my funnel strainer it would clog right away and I was unable to get all my wort out. Was the really fine sludge due to the pellet hops, or the whirlfloc? Also, if I use whirfloc, does it really only work if you whirlpool to catch the sediment in the middle, or will it coagulate the protiens to the point where the strainer will catch them. I like to pour the wort through the strainer instead of whirlpooling then syphoning because it is easier, and it aerates the wort. Any suggestions?

I've found Whirlfoc tablets dissolve pretty finely in the beer....so much so that when I do strain out hop pellets, my beer still seems to clear pretty well. So in answer to your question, I would think that you must have had a lot of hop pellets and that was clogging. When I strain hops, I tend to have a sanitized spoon at hand to stir that hop sludge.....and toss when seperated out. Other people just leave the hops in the fermentor: it will settle with the trub if you want to go that route.

I put my hop pellets into my grain bag after I empty it. You would be surprised how much those things expand in the boil!

I use a strainer and yea - it' can get messy - HOWEVER - you really do not have to strain at all. It's just something people do. I've made a good number of non-strained brews. Sitting 2 weeks on hops will not really do harm.

Back