...while I was sleeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPLSV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After eight years of brewing, I finally got some Vesuvius action overnight. Guess I shouldn't have rousted it before going to bed. This was the second night for this Trappist Quad, which calls for a temperature ramp during the first week of fermentation. Most of what I brew these days is done at the lower end of the temperature fermentation range in one of my fermentation chambers, plus I brew a majority of lagers and pilsners, so perhaps I was a little careless with this one. The blowoff tube had crossed my mind, but I often insert them once I see the krausen reaching the top. The laundry room did need a good cleaning...

beer1.JPG
beer1.JPG
beer3.JPG

Attachments

• beer2.JPG
    beer2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
Similar experience back when I first started brewing taught me what a blow off tube is all about!

That reminds me of one of my first ever batches when I put the brew bucket by the heat register for a hoppy saison I attempted...the entire corner of the living room (2 walls, ceiling, carpet and couch) were all painted with yeasty/hoppy/sugary mess...we did not get our security deposit back on that apartment :(

It hit the ceiling?? I take my hat off to your yeast!
Enough yeast packed itself up into the fermentation lock that it created a jet nozzle effect that blew off the top cover of the fermentation lock and when the pressure would build enough, it would squirt out that jet nozzle effect to hit the ceiling. As I began to clean up, it was about to do another shot...heard it whistling! Pulled the fermentation lock off at that point.

Enough yeast packed itself up into the fermentation lock that it created a jet nozzle effect that blew off the top cover of the fermentation lock and when the pressure would build enough, it would squirt out that jet nozzle effect to hit the ceiling. As I began to clean up, it was about to do another shot...heard it whistling! Pulled the fermentation lock off at that point.

I will bet your significant other also said something about the washer or dryer needing to be cleaned as well. That is, if you have a significant other.

Latest posts

Back