Which yeasts compact as well as us05 in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi!

Visiting friends, I am travelling usually quite a bit with my homebrew in my backpack. What I really love is that us05 compacts so well in the bottle, that even after being "shaken in the backpack" for multiple hours, the yeast still stays at the bottom and I can pour nearly clear beer.

Which other yeast, preferably but not limited to dry, has this attribute?

M.

Well pretty much any yeast that has high flocculation characteristics. Three that come to mind are 1099 Whitbread, 1187 Ringwood and 1968 London ESB all from wyeast. Those will settle out even better than US-05.

Hi!

Visiting friends, I am travelling usually quite a bit with my homebrew in my backpack. What I really love is that us05 compacts so well in the bottle, that even after being "shaken in the backpack" for multiple hours, the yeast still stays at the bottom and I can pour nearly clear beer.

Which other yeast, preferably but not limited to dry, has this attribute?

M.
US- 05 is actually a fairly powdery yeast compared to some. Nottingham is a good strain if your main concern is sticking to the bottom.

I know that us05 first has problems to clear and seems to be quite powdery, but once it is settled and after about two weeks, it forms a sticky gooey substance that just sticks to the bottom. I never experienced this behavior with Nottingham. I love Nottingham, but not for its behavior in the bottle.

Somehow it looks like us05 is the only dry yeast that shows this behavior. Interesting!

US-05 does not flocculate very well. In terms of dry yeast, Nottingham and S-04 flocculate much better, creating a ferm cake both in the fermenter and the bottle.

US-05 does not flocculate very well. In terms of dry yeast, Nottingham and S-04 flocculate much better, creating a ferm cake both in the fermenter and the bottle.

We might have a slight communication problem here.

I am not looking for yeasts with good flocculation. I am also not looking for yeasts that form a compact cake.

I am looking for a yeast that, once fully sedimented, forms a sticky layer which sticks to the bottom of the bottle even if the bottle is transported in a backpack for hours.

I tried this with Nottingham and believe me, us05 was far superior. Us05 doesn't care at all, after a few weeks of settling in the bottle it just sticks to the bottom of the bottle, no matter how you treat the bottle. But you really have to give it some time in the bottle before it works like this.

I think 04 might work as well, didn't try it, but I do not like this yeast so much any more for other reasons.

I think that we're not really misunderstanding, but I've never had S05 compact well, in a fermenter, a bottle or a keg, ever. So if you do, that's great, but generally a high flocculating yeast (English yeast especially) will form a tight trub layer and leave a clear beer behind in the fermenter AND in the bottle.

Don't do much bottling but do save yeast for reuse. Just used some wlp090 it seemed quite paste like to get out of the jar. WLP029 also seems to stick to the jar quite well.

I was able to plug the toilet with a hockey puck size blob of wyeast 1968 once. Came out of the pint mason jar cleanly so I would say it is not too sticky except to itself.

I know wlp090 is very similar to us05 and is more floculent. Ive heard from several members that switched to 090 bc of its flocculation,I dont know in a bottle though how long they each take to form a tight cake

I am beginner in homebrewing and work only with S-04 and US-05. S-04 have a tick residue on bottom of fermentor and more remains in bottles, but fast drop to bottom. US-05 long holds the remains on the surface (I drop it manually day before bottling) but no too much residue on bottom and almost nothing in bottles. And, US-05 very well tolerated by oscillations and excessive temperatures, but S-04 long smell yeasty if fermentation temperature is a little higher.

I love US-05. Currently ferment on 23'C. I read that it works well until 28'C. Does anyone have any experience with that high temperatures?

I am beginner in homebrewing and work only with S-04 and US-05. S-04 have a tick residue on bottom of fermentor and more remains in bottles, but fast drop to bottom. US-05 long holds the remains on the surface (I drop it manually day before bottling) but no too much residue on bottom and almost nothing in bottles. And, US-05 very well tolerated by oscillations and excessive temperatures, but S-04 long smell yeasty if fermentation temperature is a little higher.

I love US-05. Currently ferment on 23'C. I read that it works well until 28'C. Does anyone have any experience with that high temperatures?
Try Mangrove Jack New world strong Ale yeast. It clears way faster and better than 05 and has a slight english esther taste. It is also very tolerant to uncontrolled temperatures. I am just playing around with it but so far, I prefer it to US05.

Last edited:
Try Mangrove Jack Imperial strong Ale yeast. It clears way faster and better than 05 and has a slight english esther taste. It is also very tolerant to uncontrolled temperatures. I am just playing around with it but so far, I prefer it to US05.

It is M15?

No, it is m42.

https://mangrovejacks.com/products/new-world-strong-ale-m42-yeast-10g

I mixed up the names, sorry. Corrected it.

Thank you. Will be try on winter because my current temperature in fermenter is 23'C and in summer they can go up to 30'C.
Next I plan to try S-34/70 on high fermentation temperature, according to this experiment: http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/18/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/ and in summer I be try M29 (saisons).

Fuller's yeast wyeast 1968 (wlp002) flocculates well but I wouldn't feel too comfortable carrying those bottles around in a backpack. The pellet stays well in place when you remove the bottle from the fridge and pour the beer but if you shake a half full bottle it gets disturbed immediately (at least after 30 days in the bottle). Haven't really tried shaking a full bottle yet, but I guess you would need to give the clumps some time to drop back to the bottom after the journey.

My beer, without any fining, fermented with US-05 not have any clumps. S-04, from my previous batch, is high flocculates, but I have enough clumps from yeast in bottles.

I have had great luck with the following when bottle conditioning:

wlp320
S04
S33
wlp002
Wyeast 1450

Back