Which yeast for my next batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Getting ready to order a new kit for my second batch of beer. Looking at an imperial IPA brewed with nugget hops. Original gravity 1.061 final 1.012 yeast options with the kit are us-05, wyeast 1056, and wyeast 1272

those yeast are all pretty similar, they have their differences but not like 1056 and an english or belgian yeast. i ferment 98% of my beer with US-05 because i like to just dump it in dry and be done for the day.

Haveing read posts here Im keen not to use the foil bag of "no name" yeast for my next wheat beer brew which came with the kit, and have some boxes of the supermarket branded yeast for baking, but am I correct in assuming this can NOT be used?
I notice the ingredients say Yest 93%, Calcium Sulphate, Emuls (sorbitan Monostearate), Flour Treatment Agent (asorbic Acid( Alpha Amylase. This is a no no right?

Also the foil baggy that came with the kit has no indication of quanitity what so ever (part of a 5 Gallon/40 pint making kit)

I would not use the supermarket yeast. If you're looking to do more of a clean American-style wheat beer, US-05 will work well for you. For a german weizen style with more yeast character, I've had good results with the Wyeast 3068.

As for the OP, I tasted two pale ales side by side that were made from 1056 and 1272 (same wort, split batch) and preferred the 1272. More hop character came through in the finished beer with 1272. YMMV.

Ugh. I wouldn't use the bread yeast. But then, I wouldn't use an unknown yeast either. Good, known strains from Fermentis and Danstar are reliable and inexpensive. Easy to use as well.

Rick

I would not use the supermarket yeast. If you're looking to do more of a clean American-style wheat beer, US-05 will work well for you. For a german weizen style with more yeast character, I've had good results with the Wyeast 3068.

As for the OP, I tasted two pale ales side by side that were made from 1056 and 1272 (same wort, split batch) and preferred the 1272. More hop character came through in the finished beer with 1272. YMMV.

Ok, does anyone have a Comment on the safale US-05 VS Wyeast 1272????

Ok, does anyone have a Comment on the safale US-05 VS Wyeast 1272????

those two can easily substitute for each other. there can be differences but mostly related to fermentation temps. side by side i'd be impressed if most people could tell the difference.

those two can easily substitute for each other. there can be differences but mostly related to fermentation temps. side by side i'd be impressed if most people could tell the difference.

Enlighten me on fermentation temps of one vs the other

jimmarshall said:
Enlighten me on fermentation temps of one vs the other

The three should be fermented between 62-68f

1056 and 05 are the same strain and will produce a very clean neutral finished product. IME 1272 will produce slightly more fruity esters at the finish but this can be controlled using the lower fermentation temperature. 1056 and 05 are more forgiving

1056 and 05 are the same strain and will produce a very clean neutral finished product. IME 1272 will produce slightly more fruity esters at the finish but this can be controlled using the lower fermentation temperature. 1056 and 05 are more forgiving

I like 1272 a lot. Fermented cool it is clean, warmer produces slight fruity esters. The one thing I like is it really drops out and makes a nice clear brew.

Back