Which Vials for storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was planning to freeze yeast, I would not use glass. water expands when it freezes and I would not trust the glucose to protect from expansion.

The soda bottle blanks are a good choice. They are strong and will last a long time.

I use 50ml plastic centrifuge tubes. They are marked on the side in 5ml gradients, making it easy to add the proper amount of glucose for freezing. A box of 50 for $10 from amazon.
Karter Scientific 208L2 Centrifuge Tubes, 50ml, 30x115mm, Blue Cap, Conical, No-Leak (Pack of 50)

I label them with a 3/4" dia sticker from Staples. It fits perfectly on the cap.

I have seen those as well, on ebay for $30 for 100 of them... but who has the room....

I am looking to keep at most 5-6 strains on hand so the 50 pack is a good choice or the baby soda bottles, I need a holder tho...

Thanks for advice much appreciated.... this is a long road to homebrew and have a pipeline going...

Hell my keezer came before my setup is complete and serving commercial out of it...

So yea

I got soda bottle preforms (35ml) and racks on amazon for yeast storage. The only problem is the racks are designed for vials, and the neck rings on the bottle preforms interfere with each other. With only 5-6 you would have no problem. Any 25mm vials should fit fine.

FYI, White Labs uses preforms as well, but they are 50ml, and too fat for any racks I could find at a reasonable price.

I plan to freeze mine, so the preforms are the better choice for me.

Preforms, 30 pcs, $18.95
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MB1QNY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Racks, holds 24 , $7.95
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019ZR1MA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

John

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't speak to the giant test tubes, but I use the 24ml vials from Cynmar. I don't freeze them, just store yeast on agar slants in the fridge. I like the 24ml for their small size - I sterilize in a small pressure cooker, and I can put 4 in a half-pint canning jar, put 5 jars in my cooker. I can use the same half-pints to hold the vials while growing the yeast on the slants, covered with nylon mesh to keep out the fruit flies and foil over that to keep out the random falling "bugs".

If you're freezing your yeast, this might not be much help.

Are you making slants or freezing? I prefer the flat-bottomed vials because they don't need a rack, you can just stand them up on a flat surface. I think I use those same exact vials for my yeast slants.

Heh good find guys im about to make a purchase from home training tools for some flasks Best prices I've seen on 1000mL and 2000mL

Back