Which to believe hydrometer or refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_brewbie

Reaction score
Both show 1.000 with the same tap water (don't have distilled water handy), but wildly different readings for my wort. My last batch they both agreed.

I was shooting for 1.062, but had a stuck sparge from hell. Now I am worried I really messed up my efficiency and the hydrometer is the real number, but I want to desperately believe the refractometer.

I guess I will have beer either way.

View attachment 1442156811701.jpg

View attachment 1442156823611.jpg

If the sample in the hydrometer is at room temperature, that's the one I would believe. It's hard to fool a hydrometer, especially with a sample large enough to measure. Refractometers, now that is a different story.

My refractometer and hydrometer readings usually agree, and when they don't it is usually a sampling error. I'd retake samples to find out which is the culprit.

Calibrate with Distilled water, you'll get fluctuation when you calibrate your Refractomer (there is a small set screw under the black cap) with Tap water and you'll get the wrong "base number" with your hydrometer. I had one hydrometer that read 1.000 with Tap water but when I used distilled water at the same temp, it read 1.003 which means I had to do a correction factor with my measured wort to account for that knowing it was .003 less.

If all else, I would trust the hydrometer for your closest number if you've never calibrated your Hydrometer correctly.

Are you measuring your wort at the specified temp that is printed on your hydrometer? Does your Refractometer have ATC to compensate for temps?

Everything is at room temp, hydrometer is calibrated at 60f, but error should only be a point or two. I chilled another sample and still had consistent readings. Hydrometer has ATC. I did calibrate with tap water, I know there could be some error, but I would think only a few points. I am seeing a 20 point delta :(. I took multiple samples and everything remains the same. Brew was done yesterday and is now happily bubbling away.

Everything is at room temp, hydrometer is calibrated at 60f, but error should only be a point or two. I chilled another sample and still had consistent readings. Hydrometer has ATC. I did calibrate with tap water, I know there could be some error, but I would think only a few points. I am seeing a 20 point delta :(. I took multiple samples and everything remains the same. Brew was done yesterday and is now happily bubbling away.

Trust your Hydrometer if your hitting the same numbers between two samples with it.

Yeah, I bought from Amazon and it was advertised for brewing.... Does this mean it is completely worthless?

Your refractometer is for salt. Note where it says 'salinity'.

You've won solving the puzzle!

To the OP: Yes, the hydrometer reading is correct.
Getting a finer crush will likely improve your efficiency by a lot. LHBS mills tend to be set too wide. Milling 2x is not going to make it much better. Milling once right, does.

You could mash longer, it sometimes helps, and stir really well.

Adding a handful of rice hulls to your mash will prevent stuck mashes, particularly with larger amounts of gummy grains, like wheat, oats, rye, etc. When it sticks, you can always add (more) rice hulls, stir them in let sit for a few minutes, vorlauf and lauter. Don't drain too fast, as it may compact the grain bed too.

Last edited:
Back