Which one of these refractometers shall I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am faced with this dilemma where I cant decide between 2 refractometers.

They both have very decent prices......and they are both for brewing beer.

Nº1 seems to be, however, just for wort. Am I wrong about it or right?

Nº2 seems to be good for both wort and beer gravity measuring. It doesnt have an SG scale...but that shouldnt be an issue....I can always convert Brix to SG.

What do you guys think? Definitely the second one, right?

UPDATE: just sent a message to the seller....because the 1st one states that it comes with a 3 year warranty...while the second one says nothing about that. Let's see what this seller says.

UPDATE2: just bought the 1st one.....now I just have to wait and get back to you guys with some feedback :)

If you read down the description on the second one, it states that it's just for wort as well. The alcohol range is an estimate of what you might get after your wort has fermented depending on how much it attenuates.

IMO, I go with the KISS methodology.

No. 1 is my choice.
I rely only on the Brix scale and then use Beersmith to convert as there can be some discrepancies on some of the cheaper models.
I also only use it for wort and rely on hydrometer to check ABV for the same reason.

If you read down the description on the second one, it states that it's just for wort as well. The alcohol range is an estimate of what you might get after your wort has fermented depending on how much it attenuates.

I hear you. I have just been through the body of the ad.

It says "* 0-25% Potential Alcohol Scale (NOT Finished Alcohol! Alcohol skews ANY refractometer!)"

For me this is confusing....I thought it was meant to be for measuring the gravity of the finished beer too.
Well, I guess the 1st one is the best then.

IMO, I go with the KISS methodology.

No. 1 is my choice.
I rely only on the Brix scale and then use Beersmith to convert as there can be some discrepancies on some of the cheaper models.
I also only use it for wort and rely on hydrometer to check ABV for the same reason.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Back