which of these spa panels is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Midwest panel has positions for additional circuit breakers in it. It is also a larger box that has room for an outlet to be placed along with some other items.

The Eaton unit has no additional anything. I think you would be hard pressed to even install an outlet unless it was on a power cord.

I have to add my $.02 into this. You will need to add a breaker into your existing panel to feed anyone of these per NEC. Why not just add a GFCI breaker and use a simple unfused disconnect at the load? SHould be much cheaper in the long run.

Also, adding a receptacle into a box that is not listed for it is in violation of the NEC as well.

I have to add my $.02 into this. You will need to add a breaker into your existing panel to feed anyone of these per NEC. Why not just add a GFCI breaker and use a simple unfused disconnect at the load? SHould be much cheaper in the long run.

Also, adding a receptacle into a box that is not listed for it is in violation of the NEC as well.

It makes little sense, but it is very difficult to find a 2-pole GFCI breaker for less money than a regular 2-pole breaker plus a spa panel that has a 2-pole GFCI breaker. You also gain the advantage of a "portable" GFCI.

Yeah the 2pole gfci were way more expensive than the spa panel. I don't plan to add any other breakers or receptacles to the spa panel. I have leftover 8/3 from another project. I'll run 10/3 from the 30a panel breaker to the dryer outlet, 10/3 from the outlet to the spa panel breaker. 8/3 from spa panel to control toolbox

People typically are using these as plug in devices rather than as permanent installations. A DIY GFCI cable of sorts.

I have the Midwest one that I bought off eBay for $45 with shipping. It works great! It is wired to a two pole 30 amp 240 volt breaker in my main panel. I paid $80 for all the parts including the breaker, wires and outlet. I couldn't find a GFCI breaker for under $100.

I bought the Midwest one off ebay, sold as new, and the GFCI breaker was a dud. Never again. The replacement from HD has been fine.

DrHops said:
I have the Midwest one that I bought off eBay for $45 with shipping. It works great! It is wired to a two pole 30 amp 240 volt breaker in my main panel. I paid $80 for all the parts including the breaker, wires and outlet. I couldn't find a GFCI breaker for under $100.

Can someone explain to me if you can't find a GFCI breaker for less than $100 but you can buy a spa panel (complete with box, wiring components and GFCIBreaker) for less than $70 from HD, does this mean the spa panel breaker is a piece of ****e?

I feel like it is just a scam when they sell the breaker for more! I saw on ebay where a guy bought a spa panel just to get the breaker and was selling the rest!:mad:

Latest posts

Back