Which of these hops schedules is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wowbeeryum

Reaction score
This will be a 3 gallon batch of IPA with OG of 1.61 using wyeast 1056. Both options use the same amount of hops (I have 2 oz of both Columbus and Simcoe). I'm going for a dank/earthy/herbal IPA.

70 IBUs

60 mins 0.5 Columbus
15 mins 0.25 Simcoe
5 mins 0.25 Simcoe
1 min 0.5 Columbus
1 min 0.5 Simcoe
dry hop 1.0 Columbus
dry hop 1.0 Simcoe

68 IBUs

60 mins 0.25 Columbus
15 mins 0.25 Columbus
15 mins 0.25 Simcoe
10 mins 0.25 Simcoe
5 mins 0.25 Columbus
5 mins 0.25 Simcoe
1 min 0.25 Columbus
1 min 0.25 Simcoe
dry hop 1.0 Columbus
dry hop 1.0 Simcoe

Or suggest something else. Thanks in advance.

I think the second one will be better. It seems to me to be a better balance between bitterness and aroma.

From my experience, the earlier in the boil you introduce the hops, then the greater the strength of bitterness that is imparted to the final product. The later in the boil (such as the last 10 min) the more hop aroma you get. Dry hopping in my experience imparts the greatest hop aroma and flavor. I cant remember my recipe i did for my english bitter ale, but i believe i did 60 and 10 min boil and dry hopped evenly. If ican find he recipe i will post it. It came out really bitter and earthy with a nice robust bitter flavor being in the foreground.

I personally like te first because you would get more aroma and flavor from the hops which would be the earthy flavor u are looking for

Will there be much "bitter" with so little hops (especially the 2nd schedule) used at 60 mins?

From my experience, the earlier in the boil you introduce the hops, then the greater the strength of bitterness that is imparted to the final product. The later in the boil (such as the last 10 min) the more hop aroma you get. Dry hopping in my experience imparts the greatest hop aroma and flavor. I cant remember my recipe i did for my english bitter ale, but i believe i did 60 and 10 min boil and dry hopped evenly. If ican find he recipe i will post it. It came out really bitter and earthy with a nice robust bitter flavor being in the foreground.

I personally like te first because you would get more aroma and flavor from the hops which would be the earthy flavor u are looking for
Both schedules have nearly the same amount of late addition hops. The questions is how to spread them out for optimal results. For example, in option 1 there is an ounce going in at flame out but less going in from 15 until flame out. With option two it's more evenly distributed over those last 15 minutes.

Both schedules have nearly the same amount of late addition hops. The questions is how to spread them out for optimal results. For example, in option 1 there is an ounce going in at flame out but less going in from 15 until flame out. With option two it's more evenly distributed over those last 15 minutes.
I did not notice the last few hop lists were 1 and 5 min. I agree the second one looks more well rounded for an even spread of aroma and flavor, but tweeking one to be 1 oz at 60 min, 1.5 ounce at 30 min and .5 ounce at 15 min with 2 oz dry hopped would seem to give a better focus on the aroma with the dry hops imparting most of the strong flavor.

I did not notice the last few hop lists were 1 and 5 min. I agree the second one looks more well rounded for an even spread of aroma and flavor, but tweeking one to be 1 oz at 60 min, 1.5 ounce at 30 min and .5 ounce at 15 min with 2 oz dry hopped would seem to give a better focus on the aroma with the dry hops imparting most of the strong flavor.
this is a 3 gallon batch. an ounce at 60 minutes would be 100 IBUs all by itself.

Back