Which of the three pots to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I have been wanting to take a stab at BIAB for a lil while now. I have 6 extract brews under my belt and all have been ok, but i'm wanting to expand my brewing knowledge and take a step further toward all grain if my equipment allows. Like many, I just can't afford the extra play money at the time and would like to see if what I have would be useful for BIAB.

I have:

120qt with strainer basket (21" x 19.5')
60qt with no basket (16.75" x 15.75")
28 quart turkey frier with basket
i-kjkJStT-L.jpg

I'm only wanting to do a 6-7 gallon boil to allow for break and trub loss. Would the 60quart be a better choice for this? I'm not sure if the size of the 60qt is a standard size to find bags for or not.

This old pot was my grandfathers and dates back to 1951. Lots of history with this old pot.
i-DZGLTgg-L.jpg

Would they work?

The 60qt is in the sweet spot for full volume 6 gallon biab. The 28qt could work if you topped off with water after the mash and watched like a hawk for boil overs. Might have to add more water during the boil too.

What size of bags would I need to shop for to use the 60quart? Grrr, I wish I had a basket for that old pot.

What size of bags would I need to shop for to use the 60quart? Grrr, I wish I had a basket for that old pot.

That pot, at 16.75 wide X 15.75 deep would use a bag roughly 27.5 wide and 27 deep, with a rounded bottom.

I wouldn't worry about not having a basket, lots of folks don't use a basket, some folks even have baskets and don't use them.

It's not hard to make a bag if you have DIY skills.
Cheers and happy BIAB'ing.

PS...I happen to have an old 20 gal pot that is remarkably similar to your grandfather's. Different brand, but very similar!

My grandfather used to make homebrew and wine many decades ago when I was a small child. I have no idea if he used the pot then or not, but safe to say there have been many thousands gallons of juice and veggies passed through it. Sad that I only have access to one of many that my grandparents used.

I recall growing up there being many wooden barrels and carboys in the basement with crates upon crates of the old glass coke bottles. I wish I could have known my grandfather at an adult age to sit down with him to talk shop.

I know it would be better to have a cleaner pot that has not been used like this, but financially speaking, it's just not doable presently. Gotta make do with the resources on hand. lol

Is it possible you could PM me the price for the bag to fit the 15 gallon?

i-Dcsr8Xg-L.jpg

Thanks much,

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390947690.488426.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390947737.774243.jpg

A couple pics of my 60 year old aluminum pot, mine looked about like yours but I cleaned it up with a combination of scrub pads and sandpaper. Wet / dry sandpaper works great for refinishing aluminum. Just reoxidize and good to go. Don't be afraid to really put a hard scrub on it and remove a touch of the nasty surface...aluminum is soft and refinishes sort of like wood does....you won't hurt it!

View attachment 175458View attachment 175460

A couple pics of my 60 year old aluminum pot, mine looked about like yours but I cleaned it up with a combination of scrub pads and sandpaper. Wet / dry sandpaper works great for refinishing aluminum. Just reoxidize and good to go. Don't be afraid to really put a hard scrub on it and remove a touch of the nasty surface...aluminum is soft and refinishes sort of like wood does....you won't hurt it!View attachment 175458

Wow, those to do look the same.

Funny how using something as simple as a old pot reconnects a person with their childhood. My grandparents and parents canned everything that could be harvested. I'm very fortunate that growing up I was surrounded with a awesome set of parents and grandparents. I was taught to drive in a 61 flat bed farm truck hauling hay in the summer. I wouldn't trade my past for a million bucks..........I just hate some of the only things I have to show for it is a cook pot. lol

I regret long ago not having the wisdom to try to collect my grandfathers old homebrew stuff. I was still just a pup back then, so what's a 12 year old to do with a dozen carboys and a bottle capper? Lol....Don't answer that. lol

I know it would be better to have a cleaner pot that has not been used like this, but financially speaking, it's just not doable presently. Gotta make do with the resources on hand. lol

I disagree!
I see no sound reason why a shiny new pot would make better beer than the one you have.
Clean it well, use it and enjoy the patina of generations past!
Cheers
Wilser

If I don't get to brew this weekend, that sounds like a nice cheap and easy Saturday project.

Back