Which keg to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caucasian

Reaction score
PLanning on starting to keg soon, but not sure if i should buy a ball lock or pin lock. Does it matter?

Doesn't really matter. I bought a ball locks as I found a good deal on them at the time of purchase and I like having the pressure release valve.

I'd suggest going with the best deal you can. If space (in terms of a few inches or so) is an issue, ball locks are taller and skinnier than the shorter and fatter pin locks.

No, it doesn't but pinlocks are generally cheaper and you can convert them to ball lock for $10. The only other issue is the relief valve but you can dissemble them for cleaning, or cut the old one off and convert it also

Pin locks are not likely to fit in most home built kegerator conversions that use a mini-frig. There is barely enough room for a ball lock keg.

Ball locks are worth the extra $10.

Footprint is smaller for ball locks as mentioned above. Pin locks are sometimes cheaper because the demand seems to be lower. Also the gas liquid is impossible to screw up on the pin locks, but then again it's pretty difficult to do with the ball locks unless you can't see a color difference.

Both will dispense beer just fine. Also no need to convert a pin lock to ball lock unless you have a setup that also runs ball locks.

Back