Which is better...purree or extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstein

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing like a cherry or raspberry wheat next. I want to know which is better the fruit extract or the purree. One HBS near my house has the extract only, while the HBS near my work has the puree.

I've done one batch with extract and will never use it again. Fresh, frozen or canned for me.

I did one puree with the wife's apricot wheat and it sucks. I usually use syrup and that's no winner either but she likes it. I think with the puree, honey perhaps should have been added at least with apricot? Damn thing cost me about $30 via all-grain + puree already. She gets pyramid from now on, it's cheaper :).

My first Cherry Wheat I did use the extract. Many years ago and it was not the greatest... kinda like cough syrup. This past Januaryish I made another one with the puree and I really liked it. You add it to the secondary and make sure you have a lot of space. It will go through a secondary fermentation so you dont want to put it in a 5 gallon fermentor.

Beer Snob said:
My first Cherry Wheat I did use the extract. Many years ago and it was not the greatest... kinda like cough syrup. This past Januaryish I made another one with the puree and I really liked it. You add it to the secondary and make sure you have a lot of space. It will go through a secondary fermentation so you dont want to put it in a 5 gallon fermentor.

Ok, good to know. I was leaning towards the puree over the extract. About how much puree do I need to use? I seem to remember reading something like 42 oz in the secondary.

i used 3 lbs of cherry puree in my wheat beer... won't be able to taste until this weekend when i bottle, but i heard the puree is a much better flavor.

I just used apricot puree in my wheat beer. Smells wonderful, but like BrewProject I won't know until bottle time and drinking time. I'm being patient...but the smell is heavenly.

I used the whole can of puree in the secondary. The secondary fermentation was longer then the primary :)

Beer Snob said:
I used the whole can of puree in the secondary. The secondary fermentation was longer then the primary :)

unfortunately, i did not get any bubbling from my secondary. my ABV when racking was only 3.5%, so i was hoping for some more action.

Anyway, here's to hoping i don't have my lid on air tight and some more fermentation occurred. Will find out this Saturday when I bottle my Cherry Wheat :mug:

ok, this is making me really want to go out and buy up everything i need to brew some cherry wheat this weekend.

I didn't get any fermentation from the addition of the puree, though I'm sure there was some. Right now it "appears" as though it's fermenting, though it looks like it's just out-gassing the CO2 in suspension...

i did my cherry with extract and its good.. i really like it.. however i did my raspberry with puree.. what i ended up with was almost a framboise.. its good as all get out..but only if you like that flavor.. i took some as a sampling to my lhbs and they were its a framboise. so i bought one and dang it tastes like it..

its raspberry overload for a reason!! its good and pretty...but looked like sludge in the secondary.. pectin and isinglass took care of it.. but i was SKEERED!

i think i like the puree but the extract was a WHOLE lots easier! maybe if i got the AMOUNT of puree under control! :)

Hmmm... my secondary fermentation was VERY active. I had used a 5 gal secondary and had to swap the airlock with a blow off tube. Perhaps someone else can commend on thier experience.... you put a lot of fermentables in there with the can. Just make sure it has stoped before you bottle... last thing you want are bottle bombs.

will one (or all) of you post your really good wheat AG or extract recipe I am not picky I am looking for a really good drinkable wheat to play with one that would be good with or without a puree of sorts
Thanks
JJ

jaybird said:
will one (or all) of you post your really good wheat AG or extract recipe I am not picky I am looking for a really good drinkable wheat to play with one that would be good with or without a puree of sorts
Thanks
JJ

i'm sure you don't want mine. it's as basic as it gets.

this:
CoopersBrewmasterWheat.jpg

and this:
FL48.jpg

bottling it Saturday :ban: :mug:

thinking of bottling up my brown ale this weekend, after a week in the secondary. That will free up some space and I can brew up a nice wheat beer.....have to see how things go with work this weekend.

Here's what I brewed:

5gal batch (extract + grain steep)
Starting Gravity: 1.061

1/2# Belgian Aromatic Malt
1/2# Flaked Wheat
---steep for 30min at ~150deg

6# LME Wheat
2# Honey (added at 30min)

Hop Schedule:
1oz Hallertau at 50min remaining (bitter)
1/2oz Saaz at 15min remaining (flavor)
1oz Saaz at flameout for 3min (aroma)
IBU's: 10

Apricot Puree into secondary container.

Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen (w/ starter) at 68deg ferment.

If I brew it again I'll ditch the 1oz Saaz at flameout.

Exo said:
Here's what I brewed:

5gal batch (extract + grain steep)
Starting Gravity: 1.061

1/2# Belgian Aromatic Malt
1/2# Flaked Wheat
---steep for 30min at ~150deg

6# LME Wheat
2# Honey (added at 30min)

Hop Schedule:
1oz Hallertau at 50min remaining (bitter)
1/2oz Saaz at 15min remaining (flavor)
1oz Saaz at flameout for 3min (aroma)
IBU's: 10

Apricot Puree into secondary container.

Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen (w/ starter) at 68deg ferment.

If I brew it again I'll ditch the 1oz Saaz at flameout.

i definately wanna hear how yours turns out... keep us posted. :rockin:

EXO
when did you brew it? and have you drank it yet? What did you think??I just read your post again... so you would ditch the sazz @ flamout -K-. have you ever drank it without the puree?? what did you think?
Holy crap thats alot of???'s isent it? theres another LOL
JJ

jaybird,

Meh brewdate was 7/28/06. Fermentation w/in 2hrs and blow-off for just over 30hrs. I thought the blow-off smelled beautiful. Racked to secondary 8/16 (waiting for the bloody puree.) I'll be bottling it the 29th or 30th if the FG is on the money.

It's still in the secondary. I did taste it when racking to secondary...of course it tasted good! Right after that I added the puree. When it's bottle-time I'll take a good gulp again.

I also added 2# of honey. I wanted some fermentables in there that wouldn't over-power SWMBO but still get a relatively high ABV...

So with the 2# of honey the OG is 1.064. W/O is 1.047. ABV expectations would be 6.6% and w/o the honey would be just under 5%.

Think I'd ditch the honey next round as well. Thats a high OG/ABV for weizen...more to the style of weizenbock.

It's the evil side of me wanting to get SWMBO drunk off homebrew.

Back