Which (if any) UC Davis course?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichlerguy

Reaction score
Hi, all,

Lately I've been looking at the UC Davis brewing program. I'm lucky enough to be within easy driving distance and have the time and inclination to enroll in one of their programs. I want to get better at brewing, period. They have a weekend-long 'Going Beyond the Kit' program (shorter, cheaper) or a week-long 'Intensive Brewing Science' program (longer, spendier). I can get the time off for the latter but don't want to be overwhelmed. By the same token, the former seems a bit remedial.

Has anyone taken either? Both? Any guidance?

I am going to the Intensive Brewing Science program in June. After reading the outlines, the Going Beyond the Kit seems a little basic. How long have you been brewing?

About four years, off and on. Results have followed a solid bell curve: a few standouts, a few throwaways, and a whole lot of in-between stuff that I can't quite throw out but am not quite proud of. I'd like to get the quality up but am not sure how. Reckon seeing and learning from someone else is a good place to start.

I brew AG, which is why Going Beyond... seems remedial (the course outline talks about moving beyond extract).

You?

I am on the fence about taking one of the courses too. I am always getting the Davis brochure for the brewing programs, I'm just not sure if it's worth the greenbacks. Will it help me get a job in the industry? Probably not. I'm curious to know your opinions.

I'm not looking for a job in the industry (yet). I'm squarely in hobby mode, albeit passionate. I have a day job that I'm committed to for now. But, dammit, I want the time, money, and energy spent to stop yielding stuff that isn't fairly decent most of the time. The occasional f-up is tolerable, but consistent mediocrity isn't.

Will a Davis course help?

If, on the other hand, a job in the business is the goal, there are other even more involving Davis courses that look right. Or at that point you go to Seibel or beyond...

eichlerguy said:
I'm not looking for a job in the industry (yet). I'm squarely in hobby mode, albeit passionate. I have a day job that I'm committed to for now. But, dammit, I want the time, money, and energy spent to stop yielding stuff that isn't fairly decent most of the time. The occasional f-up is tolerable, but consistent mediocrity isn't.

Will a Davis course help?

If, on the other hand, a job in the business is the goal, there are other even more involving Davis courses that look right. Or at that point you go to Seibel or beyond...

I hear ya. I think you might get some pointers that will help improve your product. It sounds like your looking more for tips on practice rather than theory. Some of the more advanced courses seem to be more theory oriented. I wouldn't mind paying for an old salty sea dog to show me how to brew an awarding winning ale but I can't justify a classroom lecture about endo-sperm particulars. I'd be interested to hear from individuals who have attended these courses.

About four years, off and on. Results have followed a solid bell curve: a few standouts, a few throwaways, and a whole lot of in-between stuff that I can't quite throw out but am not quite proud of. I'd like to get the quality up but am not sure how. Reckon seeing and learning from someone else is a good place to start.

I brew AG, which is why Going Beyond... seems remedial (the course outline talks about moving beyond extract).

You?

I have brewed for about 20 years off and on. Mostly extract up until about 3 or 4 years ago. I now do all-grain. I am looking forward to the class as I want to learn more of the Science behind it. Many people worry about water chemistry, hitting temps exact, etc. I want to know more about the foundations of brewing like those. I want to make more consistant beer as well.

I would love to go to the Intensive Brewing Science Program. I plan on saving my pennies and doing it in the next couple years.

Sacdan, please let us know how much you liked the program when you are finished!!!

I'm with you @sacdan, I wanna know the science. Methinks I'll float a test balloon with SWMBO...maybe I'll see you there.

I'm in FST 03 currently at UC Davis, with Dr. Charlie Bamforth, the 'Pope of Foam'. It's just a basics class, it's called "Beer and Brewing". It's a great class and Charlie is absolutely awesome, very entertaining dude. He is the Department Chair for Food Sciences (Beer Brewing), and is very well published and know his stuff. The science behind it all is really quite fascinating.

I don't think the extension courses would give you a huge amount of info, besides what most people already know after doing it for so many years, but might be taught better than if you just read it online. Also I'm sure would be entertaining and engaging. That all being said, if I had the time and money I'd probably enroll since despite my busy looking college schedule and hockey tournaments I find myself with a lot of free time..

If I could double major I would absolutely be doing it and be taking every Beer class I could. Unfortunately however, the upper division beer classes are only offered inside the major, and some you even need senior standing to take, if I'm correct. A lot of pre-reqs for that good stuff.

I recommend any who can go to a talk by Charlie Bamforth- to absolutely do it.

Hope this wasn't as completely useless of a post as I'm starting to think it is. Cheers.

I don't think the extension courses would give you a huge amount of info, besides what most people already know after doing it for so many years, but might be taught better than if you just read it online.

Ya know, this is the conclusion I drew, too. So much has been written and, frankly, technique is more important than theory for where I'm at, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back