Which hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leurne

Reaction score
Hello!
First, i'm sorry for my english... I'm French... And like every french, I suck in English...

So, two weeks ago, I ask to my town if they could give me some hops rootstock (My city has a long brewing history, we have a public hop). The hops are:
Perle, Star, Hallertau Tradition, Wye Saxon and Wye Target

But the firm didn't said which hop is which variety... So now, I had 20 plant (or 20 rootstuck, but they begin to grow) and I don't know which variety is it... o_o

How I can learn which variety is it? Or I couldn't? Hmmm. I have already Magnum, Saaz and Northern Brewer... I noticed that some stem of some rootstuck are very white... not as other rootstock...

Otherwise, like I'm already student, I have access at a laboratory... So I can analyse some rootstock.

Thank! And really, I'm sorry for my english... Soon, I will go to Ireland for work in cheese farm... Maybe I will improve it... Or not... Or I will die @_@

See you!

Bienvenue! I won't attempt more French than that, as it's been too many years since I studied it. You will have to see leaves and probably cones (strobiles, really) to identify them. You may need to taste them, or taste a tea (or a beer!) made with them, in order to settle the question. I suspect the only way to identify the rootstock (rhizomes) would be DNA analysis, which I presume would be quite expensive. It would be cheaper just to buy rhizomes of the varieties you want than to do that testing. However, if you grow the ones you have, you will probably be able to identify the varieties of the plants this autumn.

By the way, we usually say "I suck AT....." To suck in means to inhale. And please don't say that you suck ON, as that would imply that you actually put something in your mouth!

Thank you! I check the links :)

And thank you Threedogs... So I suck at english

I though too that if I want to identify my hops with the rhizome (or rootstock? Which word is more used?), I will have to use DNA analysis... hmm... So I have to wait cones!

Thank!

Rhizome is the term used more often for hops, at least in America.

Once they grow, can you take leaves and cones for direct comparison with the existing plants in town?

Oh yes, it's not far to my house! It's not big but it's nice ^^

It is:
IMG_0580.gif

2083034585_0b788ceac0.jpg

dans_la_houblonniere.jpg

And the green space department of my town said that they could give me all hop cone, otherwise they put everything in the trash @_@
So I told them how brew their own beer ;)

Back