Which HOPS to USE in an OATMEAL Stout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahdrummin

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I made the mistake of ordering all ingredients for an oatmeal stout...EXCEPT the Hops, as I have a small stockpile, but not what the recipe asked for... here is the recipe...

8 oz Flaked oats
8 oz Chocolate
5 oz Roasted barley
4 oz Wheat
8 oz 6 row

6.5 lbs amber LME

Hops:

Bullion
Styrian Goldings

Thing is I do not have the above mentioned hops...I do have the following hops right now...

Perle
Cascade
Magnum
Nugget
Centennial
Summit
Sterling

So help me my brothers and sisters.... with the grain bill I do have...which of the hops that I currently have can work with this type of recipe??? even if it does not turn out to be a "true" oatmeal Stout without the hops recommended...what may work so I can brew this baby today> as always thanks in advance!

Regards

For a cleaner flavor you could get by with a small bittering addition of magnum, then finish with the sterling. Or, you could go buck wild and use the centennials and nuggets. that could be interesting.

I made this oatmeal stout earlier this year and it turned out Awesome. These are the hops that were used in this recipe. I will post the whole recipe for you.

• 0.5 lb. Flaked Oats
• 0.5 lb. Special B
• 0.25 lb. Crystal Malt (1200)
• 0.25 lb. Chocolate Malt
• 6.6 lbs. Dark LME
• 4 fl. oz. Dry Flaked Oats
• 5 oz. Malto Dextrin
• 1 oz 5.5% AA Fuggle (Bittering)
• 1/2 tsp. Irish Moss
• .5 oz 4.5% AA Willamette (Aroma)
• Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I'm gonna vote Nugget at 60, centennial at 20

I had a porter with a similar hopping, and it was awesome....don't see why the flavors wouldn't work in a Stout.

i would just do a 60minute addition with magnum to the ibu wanted

IMO, only the most assertive hop varieties stand up against the robust roast flavors of a stout; as such, I'd not worry about any flavor or aroma hops and just use enough Magnum to get to your target IBUs.

Back