Which Hops for Orangey / Pineappley Hoppy Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogg44

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a hoppy saison w/ lots of orange and pineapple aromas (without actually using any fruit). I'd like about equal parts orange and pineapple without one overpowering the other. I am for sure going to use Denali to get the pineapple. My question is for the orange aroma. I have Mandarina Bavaria and Amarillo available.

Should I just use Mandarina and Denali in equal parts? More of one over the other? (I've only used Denali previously.) 50% Denali, 25% Mandarina, 25% Amarillo? No Mandarina? A different ratio? Thanks for your suggestions.

I'd say for orange either Mandarina Bavaria or First Gold.
Pineapple I'd go for Vic Secret. Use these late or dry hop and not for bittering.

I haven't heard of Denali, just googled it and they sound tasty.

Mandarina B. is not as potent as big AA American hops, and while I haven't used Denali, I've heard it's particularly potent: try 50% MB, 25% Amarillo, 25 Denali%. Mmm. Time to write a new recipe... :D

I would combine Amarillo and citra for Orange + tropical flavor profile. Centennial is good here as well either in addition or replacing Amarillo. Just be careful putting them all together in large quantities. When I did that I ended up with fruity pebbles.

I would combine Amarillo and citra for Orange + tropical flavor profile.

I'm not sure if it's just the batch I got or not, but I've been staying away from Citra. I haven't been a fan. I think I might be one of those "Citra=cat piss" people. But cats are a-holes, so I stay away from them and I'm not really sure what cat piss smells like.

I'm not sure if it's just the batch I got or not, but I've been staying away from Citra. I haven't been a fan. I think I might be one of those "Citra=cat piss" people. But cats are a-holes, so I stay away from them and I'm not really sure what cat piss smells like.

I'm not a cat owner so not much experience with cat piss. I also don't waste citra and Amarillo by adding them early. Always large quantities very late in the boil. "Hopbursting" if you will. Establish 90% of your bitterness with your 60min addition. The rest goes in within 10 minutes of flame out. Try 3oz of Amarillo and 2oz of citra at T-5 for juicey hop flavor in a 1.070 ish beer.

I've occasionally gotten "catty" from citra, usually when I mix with simcoe. I really think it comes down to the crop and when it was harvested. I usually get lychee, passion fruit, mango, and pineapple from citra, with citrus playing a back seat. It's one of my favorite hops, and I use it a lot. Sounds like Denali is a better bet for pineapple (plus you're already "for sure" committed to it), however, and the MB + Amarillo will definitely give you some orange. To get enough orange, you'll have to bury the Denali with the other two hops. Allow for a hint of sweetness in the malt profile to kick up those fruity notes. I don't think I would bring Columbus in on this one except maybe in a supporting/cameo role. It can bring some citrus, but it's also "stern." I think 50% MB, 25% Amarillo and 25% Denali would give a perfect balance between pineapple and orange. You'll obviously need a big dry hop. What quantities are we talking?

I did a combo of Nugget and Centennial and it was super orangey - not orange-like, but almost like fresh-squeezed orange juice. Each addition was a 50/50 mix of each hop.

Back