Which grain will had better mouthfeel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am on my second attempt at a 1% version of Nanny State from BrewDog. The first one was WAY harshly bitter, but also very thin. This time around I redid the hops a lot going from 112 down to 89 IBU, but the final wort still seems very thin.

Since I am changing up the hops this time, I kept my standby Nottingham as the yeast...so in the future I might use a different yeast for more 'character'.

But, for my next version, should I add some wheat or some rye? Or go all the way to oats? I am also wondering if some lactose would help me get more of my bigger beer feel/taste and balance the large amount of hops.

How high are you mashing? Mashing towards the upper end of the typical range (156-158) may help lend some more body - allowing you to use a slightly larger grain bill while maintaining the 1% ABV.

How high are you mashing? Mashing towards the upper end of the typical range (156-158) may help lend some more body - allowing you to use a slightly larger grain bill while maintaining the 1% ABV.

First time was the recipe's recommended 149, this time I bumped to 151F. So I changed a couple variables...lol.

Maltodextrin would add body without significant sweetness, lactose would add body might add a little sweetness that could help/hurt.
Mashing as low as you did isn't going to lend any mouthfeel, for a beer so low in fermentables, you really need to mash much higher.
Wheat not much effect on mouthfeel IMO, rye is a little slick, oats add some body. All will ferment, though, and up your alcohol content.

I use carapils to give body, mouthfeel and head retention/lacing to my lighter beers.

I've been interested in brewing this beer as my brother cannot have alcohol but loves to drink good NA beer when he can find it; which isn't very often. Can you share more of your experience with brewing this beer please?

Latest posts

Back