Which grain mill are you using

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbskier

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a GF grain mill any suggestions? Something that can be adjusted for milling small grain like millet and buckwheat.

What are you GF all grain brewers using?

While not GF here, I would think an inexpensive corona type mill would crush / grind just about anything large or small. I have run a small amounts of coriander through my corona with nice results, which seems similar to millet or buckwheat.

I have a dedicated corona mill for gf grains and it works.

For my non-gf grain, I have another corona and a barley crusher. I have never used the barley crusher for gf grains, but the corona works so well, I never wished that I could. I'm thinking about putting some buckwheat in my next regular/glutton beer, so I guess I will find out, but taking price into consideration, I would still recommend the corona.

On the finest setting, my MM2 monster mill gets malted millet crushed fine enough if I do two passes. Gives a more consistent crush than my old Victoria corona mill that way, and I can hook up a power drill and crush right into a bucket or mash vessel. A 3-roller mill might get it in one pass. Buckwheat and whole oats are, of course, a cinch. Haven't tried rice or quinoa yet, though.

My ghetto corona mill.....any suggestions on how to get it adjusted correctly for Millet? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389917867.599625.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389917889.503530.jpg

I do a lot of millet and I just get the plates close so that the mill turns with minor resistance and then add the grain. During the grind I periodically adjust the plate pressure nut. You get used to the sound of the grind and the look of the cracked grain. I get mostly cracked grain with a little flour. I use a voile bag in mash tun and I don't seem to get too much past the bag mesh. If it is too course you can just run it through again.

I use the barley crusher. I set it to the finest setting and hook up a drill. Works great for millet. Cracks everything but doesn't get you flour.

Cane, my barley crusher doesn't have settings, just loosen a screw and slide the rollers to what ever gap you want. Do you know what the gap is?

Sorry. I guess I worded that wrong. I checked the gap with some plug gaps and I think the finest I got it was .01. But that's a bit misleading because of the angle of the teeth. It's just as tight as it goes.

I have the Cereal Killer Mill.....Ball bearings, adjustable, great crush. Pretty happy with mine, as far as smaller grain, mine is adjustable almost no gap so Im sure you could run what you want. AIH has them for $99.00 free shipping now....not sure how you could beat that:)

I have the Cereal Killer Mill.....Ball bearings, adjustable, great crush. Pretty happy with mine, as far as smaller grain, mine is adjustable almost no gap so Im sure you could run what you want. AIH has them for $99.00 free shipping now....not sure how you could beat that:)

+1 for Cereal Killer! Got mine on Cyber Monday and it has been great. I love getting in and out of the crowded LHBS without having to wait for the mill too

Latest posts

Back