Which grain for a SMaSH Simcoe Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I have 8oz of Simcoe I'm thinking about using for a double IPA and since I'm using all one hop variety I figured this would be a good time to try a SMaSH brew.

What would be a good grain to use for this? I actually wouldn't even mind something with a lot of malt flavor... I guess it would end up being more like a hoppy imperial amber, but that's cool with me.

I had really good results with an almost SmASH using 2-row and Simcoe. ( I added a tiny built of c-60 for a little color.)

Maris Otter or Golden Promise would be my choice. Try Weyerbacher Simcoe double IPA. Its fanastic

Interesting...Have you ever done a Munich SMaSH?

My 1st and only smash used Rahr 2-row and I found it didn't have enough malt character to support the amount of hops I used. I'll admit I hopped the crap out of it, but that was my mistake. Maybe Munich would be a good way to fight that.

If we were picking a kickball team, then apparently Vienna would be the undersized runt with a limp, coke-bottle glasses and an accent that matched no country we knew of.

A IIPA (pronounced "dubble eye pee ayy") with all of its fermentables from malt is going to be malty no matter what. I'd pick a more delicate one (than Munich) to keep a semblance of balance.

I made a Vienna IPA smash with centennial and chinook. I brewed both to 77ibu's and about 6%ABV. Both turned out great, and are great spring/summer beers. The only thing I would change is I would lower the ibu's so the malt shows through a bit more. In other words its a pretty one dimensional beer. IMO if your going to do a SMASH with simcoe, which is getting harder to find all the time, I would do a smaller batch to get the feel for the hops then put them in a true IIPA with a little more depth to the grain bill.

Back