Which drum machine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See? What’d I tell ya? :D

I went on a little I-don’t-need-it-but-I-want-it binge and got myself a TR-8s, too! I’m still getting to grips with it, but really liking it so far. I do miss having Scatter on a dedicated control though. When I want dirt, I wanna be able to just reach out and toss a handful in.

But 8 variations, selectable auto fills, motion recording, and the ease of adding samples are a decent trade off. The display is way better, too. I don’t mind a limited display, but there are limits to limits.

That minilogue looks like a real hoot.

And the MiniBrute...start giving me patch points and I get a little weak in the knees. If you can solder, you can build your own modules to expand it.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. It’s deep, and full of voltage-controlled rabbits.

On the off chance you’ve got a Nintendo Switch, check out the Korg Gadget. I got it a couple weeks ago and it’s a lot of fun to screw around with. Theoretically multiplayer, but I’ve not tested that yet.

One of these days I’ll get some noise back up on the web. Last time I did, MySpace was still relevant...

Although there’s this, but it’s 40 seconds, thrown together with Animoog, and really only there to buffer the animation against something. What else do you do when you’ve got the day off in Birmingham and it’s raining?

I just had a long message typed and accidentally deleted it so here it is again in short. I love your video! The TR-8s is great! I am not familiar with the scatter function but the drum fill function is useful as long as all of the drums you have loaded are sounds you want in your song. I don’t usually use toms so when I hit the fill button I always end up with a funky Tom fill LOL. I found a site called Aira.org that has patches for the TR-8s to add sounds from other drum machines like the SR-18. I love the minilogue. It is playable right out of the box and Korg has about 400 patches to play with on their website. It is pretty difficult to design a sound from scratch though. That’s where the MiniBrute 2 comes in. Man that thing is a beast! It puts out some deep lows that rattle my room! It comes with a cookbook too that will help you get a quick sound and then you can start knob tweaking. I never knew anything about subtractive synthesis before but once I got the MiniBrute I just dove in the rabbit hole and I love it! I plan to get in to modular but I’m still learning how it all works.

Oh and there’s nothing to do in OKC even when it’s not raining LOL

When recording alone I use Toontrack EZ Drummer, which is basically a program for creating MIDI drums in a DAW. You don't tinker with the drum lines beat for beat, but you can select from a range of different kits, change the complexity of the parts, change the velocity of the parts, etc. Ultimately you do have a lot of control over the result. As someone who is not a drummer and can't be bothered composing full drum tracks just for hobby recording, I find this software an absolute joy to use.

Here's a recording where I used it...

When recording alone I use Toontrack EZ Drummer, which is basically a program for creating MIDI drums in a DAW. You don't tinker with the drum lines beat for beat, but you can select from a range of different kits, change the complexity of the parts, change the velocity of the parts, etc. Ultimately you do have a lot of control over the result. As someone who is not a drummer and can't be bothered composing full drum tracks just for hobby recording, I find this software an absolute joy to use.

Here's a recording where I used it...

Good track. I prefer to do everything dawless personally but whatever works for you.

Im an MPC head, I can never get rid of mine, Had maschine and just couldnt wrap my head around it. I still run HDX and will probably never get rid of PT.

Back