Which crystal malts do you use most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Counted by number of recipes brewed (not weight!), which crystal malts do you use most?

• 10L

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 20L

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • 30L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40L

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • 60L

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • 80L

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 120L

• I don’t brew with crystal malts

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Double roasted crystal (120L+, ie. Special B)

• Total voters

nanobrau

Tiny tiny batches
Reaction score
You can pick multiple if you consistently brew with a couple different crystal malts. I know there are other lovibond values, but just pick the closest.

Please note this poll is not intended to be voted by weight, otherwise the darker ones would probably come in last simply because a little goes a long way for those. So for example, if you brew your favorite beer multiple times per year and it contains both 40L and 80L, vote for those two only (even if you stock all crystal available and brew with each on occasion).

I’m hoping this poll will give a sense for the most popular crystal malts. Feel free to share the beer styles that led to your vote.

I didn't realize it could go that high. If someone wants to second, I will add a new category.

And for my sake: could you link a brand of Special B thats in the 140 - 150L? I want to buy some of this and try it out myself. The stuff I got from MoreBeer is 120ish.

I use C20 or sometimes C40 in a porter that I brew pretty often. Other than that I don't use much crystal malt, but I have some cararye and carawheat malts and use a little of them occasionally in pale ales, and I just bought some C120 to experiment with. (what is C120 good for, Kentucky Common?)

I use C-120 in my Kentucky Common 8 oz in a 10 lb batch at 1.050. I also use it in Belgian Dupple and Quad. It has some of the characteristics of Special B,but I can get C-120 from Proximity Malts.

I don't use a lot of crystal malt these days. If any in American hoppy beers, its a little C40. In darker beers, a little C80. I use C120 very rarely when special B is too raisiny for the beer.

I'm with those who suggest adding Special B as a separate category: "Double Roasted Crystal", which should include not just Special B but the entire class of double roasted malts: Special W from Weyermann, Special X from Best, DRC from Simpsons etc.
Any double roasted Crystal malt isn't just another 100-150L malt, it's a different product in its own right, produced differently and often produced alongside a "conventional" Crystal of a similar shade (Simpsons DRC and Simpsons Dark Crystal, f.ex.).

For my Crystal usage pattern, it all depends on the style. Exclusively 60L for modern British recipes, either 10L or DRC for Belgian beers, lots of 120L Crystal (not DRC) for Baltic Porters.
When I was a noob, I also used all shades of Crystal in my German Lagers, blindly following the recipes that prescribed Crystal malts liberally. Not anymore.

Last edited:
I'm with those who suggest adding Special B as a separate category: "Double Roasted Crystal", which should include not just Special B but the entire class of double roasted malts: Special W from Weyermann, Special X from Best, DRC from Simpsons etc.
Any double roasted Crystal malt isn't just another 100-150L malt, it's a different product in its own right, produced differently and often produced alongside a "conventional" Crystal of a similar shade (Simpsons DRC and Simpsons Dark Crystal, f.ex.).

For my Crystal usage pattern, it all depends on the style. Exclusively 60L for modern British recipes, either 10L or DRC for Belgian beers, lots of 120L Crystal (not DRC) for Baltic Porters.
Whan I was a noob, I also used all shades of Crystal in my German Lagers, blindly following the recipes that prescribed them liberally. Not anymore.
Dingeman's says Special B is "double dried," and I don't quite know what that means. Also in the "not your ordinary crystal malt" category is Briess Extra Special.

DRC is wonderful in a bunch of things it's not traditionally used for. Baltic Porter. Schwarzbier. Doppelbock.

For me also some form of Crystal 40 or 60 but usually Caramunich I, II or III or a British Crystal in these ranges as I dont have access to the American versions.

:off:
What are you guys using your crystal rye and crystal/carawheat in?

I have only used Crystal Rye in a Wookie Jack clone and still have a few pounds left over.
Carawheat I have been using for parti-gyles to cap the mash for the "free" second running beer.
I've convinced myself, as it's wheat, it helps add a bit more body as the second beer can be a bit thin.
Think I used it in a Little Sumpin' clone too.

I’ve used crystal rye in a dubbel, in place of some of the Special B. I also use it alongside chocolate rye in all my stouts and porters, plus recently, a dark saison. The two ryes in combination give a rich and chocolatey taste.

I’ve used crystal rye in a dubbel, in place of some of the Special B. I also use it alongside chocolate rye in all my stouts and porters, plus recently, a dark saison. The two ryes in combination give a rich and chocolatey taste.

Sounds interesting, I also have some chocolate/roasted rye that I never used.
I might give a Rye stout a go sometime soon.

Depends on the style of beer I'm brewing. I will add though, as a personal taste, I like English Crystal malts the best. The same applies for roasted malts. I like dark crystal malts, so Simpsons DRC, Simpsons and Crisp Dark and Extra Dark crystal malts, and I also like Crystal Rye malt. Crystal Wheat is a nice one, but only works in some specific scenarios. Otherwise, Crystal 60-70L comes in close and only once in a while, a bit of 20-40L range crystal malts.

It's still a work in progress. The last batch got oxidized at bottling and I'm using them(54 bottles) in marinades,brine and as a braising liquid for pork and beef. It was amazing in a pork hock and sauerkraut dish.

Back