Which CA Breweries to Visit? Roadtrip tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
I'm taking a short road trip from Orange County to Monterrey tomorrow. I will be taking the 101 freeway the whole way and was hoping I could get some suggestions on which breweries to visit along the way. Please ignore any OC or LA breweries. So far all I know is that I want to check out Firestone - Barrelworks in Buelton.

I'm mainly looking for beer quality here. If there some absolutely amazing brewery (location-wise), I will possibly make an except to make the SWMBO happy.

Thanks All!

If you don't want anything in LA or OC, Firestone is pretty much your only choice. There are a host of brew pubs, maybe try Yelp for those.

You would have to go further than Monterey, to capitola, but sante adarius is supposed to be pretty good.

Firestone has their large brewery up in Paso Robles if I remember correctly. Right off of the 101. Stop in San Luis Obispo and see Central Coast Brewing. If you want a great meal, stop by Firestone Grill on Higuera street and order a tri-tip sandwich.

I went to college in SLO back in the 90's. Great part of California - enjoy!

In case anyone is interested...I went to:

Institution Ales - Camarillo: Awesome beers, location is meh
Firestone/Barrel Works - Buelton: Loved this a lot, but Im very into sours and barrel aged stuff.
Barrelhouse - Paso Robles: Amazing brewery and scenery, looked like a great place to hang out. Some really good beers, some OK beers.
Alvarado Street Brewery - Monterrey: Very very good IPAs. Highly reccomended. One of them won gold at GABF last year i guess.
Figueroa Mountain - Buelton: Never been crazy about their beers but decided to check it out anyways. Had one of the better session IPAs ive ever had, the rest is standard fair. Brewery itself is kind of cool, pretty small tap room though.

Back