Which burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwcm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to slowly upgrade my brewgear to allow for AG batches. First up is a propane burner. I'm looking at two and wanted the hivemind's take on them:

AIHB's propane burner: http://www.homebrewing.org/14-Propane-Burner--220000-BTU_p_1190.html

220,000 BTU's?! Wow. And for less than $100.00?

Then there is the Blichmann Floor Burner: http://www.homebrewing.org/Blichmann-Top-Tier-Burner--Floor-Standing-includes-regulator_p_1384.html

From everything I've read this thing is hands down awesome but I wanted to know how it stacked up against the other burner.

Anyone?

I have a bayou sp-10 and it's treats me great...also does not require huge amounts of propane. Boils quickly and is simple. If you do get a bayou burner, be forewarned, you have to do a bit of a burn 30 minutes at least when u get it to get the paint off and it stinks. After that, works great, lasts a long time, and doesn't cost a lot if you need to replace.
A lot of times you can get a turkey fryer pot as an add on for super cheap...it's great for heating sparge water. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have the Bayou Burner SQ14 and yeah I have recommended it, only $50 on Amazon shipped free. Doesn't use much gas at all and boils really quick

I use 2 SQ14's for my HLT/MLT and a KAB6 for my Boil kettle. Both are terrific burners. The KAB6 is much more powerful than the SQ14 but as mentioned, uses more gas.

I'm looking to be able to boil 10 gallon batches in the future but my first step to AG will be 5 gal batches (if this makes a difference in burner suggestion). So is the Blichmann not worth the extra $$$? Or will there be an inevitable upgrade in my future? For the SQ14 will the stand hold up a 10 gallon pot full of wort? I'd prefer not to have boiling wort jump out at me :)

I also have the SQ14 and the stand is very solid. My boil kettle is 8 gallons and I have boiled as much as seven gallons with no issues (just have to be careful and avoid boil overs). I would have no problem with a 10 gallon pot.

I'm looking to be able to boil 10 gallon batches in the future but my first step to AG will be 5 gal batches (if this makes a difference in burner suggestion). So is the Blichmann not worth the extra $$$? Or will there be an inevitable upgrade in my future? For the SQ14 will the stand hold up a 10 gallon pot full of wort? I'd prefer not to have boiling wort jump out at me :)

For an entry level burner the SQ14 is hard to beat. I have two of them and use them for brewing anything from 3 gallon to 10+ gallon size brews. For a 5 gallon size brew session I can usually get 4-5 brew sessions from a full 20 lb tank. These burners are very stable. The only draw back (and it is easy to fix) is that you may want to build a samll windscreen if you are brewing in your driveway. I used a small piece of sheet metal and bent it in a circle around the burner.

I have the Blichmann burner which I purchased about two years ago. I chose this particular burner because I thought that I might be buying the Top Tier brew stand in the near future. I have yet to purchase the Top Tier, but I have added the optional 24 inch legs for the burner. To be honest, this has been a great burner. What I like about it most is that it is fast, seems to not use too much fuel, and is quiet to operate.

I also have a Camp Chef burner that I use for my HLT, but I don't like to use it any more than I have to -- it is simply to loud.

I do like the stainless construction of the Blichmann and still look forward to the day that I may purchase the Top Tier. Also, you should be able to do 20 gallon boils with the Blichmann Burner.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

I have the blichmann with the leg extensions;. it has served me well. It's quiet, efficient, and sturdy. The burner is nice and wide and heats evenly. It's probably the most expensive home brew burner, but I appreciate how well it's built, the efficiency, and certainly the relative quietness. Some of the other burners sound like a jet engine.

I have the Blichmann burner which I purchased about two years ago. I chose this particular burner because I thought that I might be buying the Top Tier brew stand in the near future.

^ This would be my advice. If you think there's any chance of you buying a Top Tier in the future, go with the Blichmann. Outside of that, I have an SP-10 that I modified to securely hold a keggle, and I'm quite happy with it.

Not to hijack the thread, but also on topic:

Any recommendations for burners of a wooden deck? The Blichmann's leg extensions seem to put it up high enough to be safe, but it's expensive. I get nervous at the thought of a high-BTU burner too close to my deck, and brewing in my driveway is impractical for now (no water access, etc.).

Thanks!

If your only option is to brew on your deck then I would try two things.

1) Find a piece of sheet metal that will be big enough to cover the area of the deck supporting your burner. If there is a shiny side to this piece place that facing up to help reflect the heat away from your deck.

2) Use cider blocks to act as leg extensions lifting your stand upward.

Someone else may want to comment on how safe they think these ideas might be. I have done this a few times with my sq14 burner w/o any problems.

lwcm said:

As I understand it the blichmann burner is only worth it if you plan on upgrading to a blichmann top tier system where you can integrate the burner. I use the sq14 and it is awesome (be carefully not to melt the rubber off your ball valve like I did :) )

As I understand it the blichmann burner is only worth it if you plan on upgrading to a blichmann top tier system where you can integrate the burner.:) )

I cannot agree with this statement. The Blichmann is your choice of burner if you want to upgrade to the Blichmann Top Tier. However, if that is not your intent, then there are other choices available, one of which is to buy the Blichmann. It is a fine burner due to the fact that it is quiet, all stainless construction, and efficient. It is STILL a fine burner to choose even if you do not intend to move to the Top Tier.

It is a fine burner due to the fact that it is quiet, all stainless construction, and efficient. It is STILL a fine burner to choose even if you do not intend to move to the Top Tier.

I agree. What I didn't mention in my earlier post is that it also a decent built-in windshield and adjustable brackets to hold your pot a little more securely. It's also made of stainless steel versus cast iron and made in America. The efficiency, the quietness, the windshield, and sturdy design were worth the extra money to me. Others use different burners and enjoy brewing on them as well, but I definitely don't think the Blichmann is only for those who intend to use the Top Tier system, I don't.

Keep in mind, the more BTUs, the more propane you're burning and typically the higher boil off rate you'll have, meaning you'll need a larger grain bill to compensate and you'll be filling your propane tank more often.

Any recommendations for burners of a wooden deck? The Blichmann's leg extensions seem to put it up high enough to be safe, but it's expensive. I get nervous at the thought of a high-BTU burner too close to my deck, and brewing in my driveway is impractical for now (no water access, etc.).

Thanks!

I set my Bayou Classic KAB4 on a round concrete stepping stone.

Thanks!

Use a grill mat and put the blichmann on cinder blocks. Works great and it your best option if you have to work on a deck.

L

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my modified KAB4. Can't imagine using (or needing) a more powerful burner. I place it on a 16" tile that I had leftover from tiling my bathroom. It does the trick.

Back