A Few More BTUs or A Cereal Killer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepspeaking

Reaction score
Got a few bucks to spend.
And don't have a grain mill.
But one of my least favorite things about brew day is how loud my burner is.
So I'm on the fence.

Upgrade from an effective but LOUD Bayou Classic SP1 Jet Cooker @ 185,000 BTUs

To AIH's burner with few more BTUs - 14" Propane Burner @ 220,000 BTUs

OR expand the arsenal and go with the Cereal Killer

I figure 2 burners could be helpful in the future, but so would the grain mill.

Thoughts - Anecdotes - Overly passionate criticisms?

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded to a Blichmann burner and love the quiet! It no longer sounds like a Harrier is landing on my patio.

Of course I also bought a "Killer" and love buying grains in bulk and grinding on brew day!

Well, I have been zero help!! :)

I personally love being able to buy grains in bulk so I can brew whatever I want, whenever I want, and save some money while doing it. Having a grain mill allows me to store 50LBS of Maris Otter and Pale 2-row and also keep 5LBs of 10+ specialty grains on hand at any given time. Because of this convenience, I'd choose the grain mill and just turn my stereo up louder on brew day. :D

I second the vote on the crusher! Though, I still brew on my stove so my opinion may be biased ;).

Not only can you store grains, but, in my case anyway, it also raised my efficiency a couple points.
And, it gives you control over the crush. I bought my mill after getting some rye malt from an online retailer where the malt was barely even crushed.

Cheers!

Get the mill first is my initial thought. My second thought is use headphones and listen to some of your favorite music while the burner is going. Best if it is music that is "made loud to play loud"!

If you brew enough you'll save money buying grain in bulk. You'll also probably see your efficiency jump a bit with a good grain crush, saving a bit more $$$$.

So my vote is the mill.

Get the mill. Save money by buying grain in bulk amounts and save for a Blichmann. The burner you linked is also very loud. I can't compare to a jet burner but I have the SP10 which I think is the same burner head in a different frame. It is loud. BTW the SP10 from Amazon is only $44.97. It is also 200,000 BTU.

Latest posts

Back