Which Burner Would You Get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettCo124

Reaction score
Hey all,

If you had to choose one burner to buy for making 5 gallon batches, which would it be? I'm looking at the Hellfire, and it's up there as my top choice, but does it really matter if I went for a cheaper one? What are your thoughts?

I don't anticipate on brewing any more than 5 gallons, so no worries on having to eventually upgrade. I'd be happy purchasing the hellfire, but just as happy to save that money if it isn't going to make a big enough difference.

Hard to beat the Blichmann burner. I'd recommend getting the stand legs, too, if they work with your stand.
Quiet & efficient. I use one w/my 15g BK with great results.

My first burner was a Turkey fryer burner that I got on sale after the holidays - I think about $40 - $50 including the 7.5 gallon aluminum pot. I then got a Bayou Classis SP10 for about $45. The turkey fryer burner is now under my HLT and the SP10 is under the boil kettle. Both are 10 gallon pots.

I would like the Hellfire, for quiet, both of mine are loud. Also the Hellfire is supposed to use a lot less propane.

I really want to go electric!

I think that at this point in your brewing, there are a number of other things that would pay you more than a Hellfire.

Do you have a refractometer? PH meter (only matters if you're going to do all-grain)? Good thermometer? Immersion chiller?

Or a fermentation chamber of sorts? A good used refrigerator, coupled to an Inkbird temp controller, would be a great investment.

Many here would tell you that fermentation temperature control is the place where you can make the greatest strides in quality.

As you know, I just bought a Hellfire. I added the leg extensions as well. That's a $200+ investment right there. I think you'd be miles ahead with any and all of the above items. The Hellfire is a convenience. I did just fine w/ a 54,000 BTU burner for my first 24 batches. Yeah, it's a little slower to heat water, and bring wort to a boil, but it works, and there's nothing it did that made my beer any different than what I'm able to brew w/ the Hellfire.

If money is dear at all, get the other stuff first.

Have the Blichmann (pre-hellfire) and would buy it again without question. All I do is 5 gallon batches. You can find cheaper, but I don't think you'll find any more powerful, quiet or sturdy.

eldemetal from northern, are what have and are impressive. af1's link may have had me try one though..... if you may need more later, buy bigger now for a few more dollars.

eldemetal from northern, are what have and are impressive. af1's link may have had me try one though..... if you may need more later, buy bigger now for a few more dollars.

The Banjo Burner has the same burner piece that the pre-hellfire Blichmann burner has. I have both. Because my main boil kettle is now a 30 gal. Spike I'd consider the Hellfire, but @ around $200 w/ the legs I'm gonna wait, because I bought a lot of stuff last year.

Mongoose33 brought up some good points in his post. You could go farther with your money and beer considering one of those other brewing accessories.

I am definitely taking that in to consideration. The banjo burner sounds like a decent little burner, and is in the lead so far. I didn't think I'd need the hellfire, although 100 dollars to 150 dollars isn't going to really save me much more money (by the way, the additional legs for the hellfire aren't needed-correct?) if they are, the banjo burner doesn't appear to be very tall.

Mongoose - I have the fermonster premium kit and I upgraded the kettle with a built in stainless thermometer. I don't think I currently need anything else to continue to brew until I decide to go all grain.

I'm looking to make my decision by Friday. Banjo Burner seems to be in the lead, although I'd love to hear more people's experience with it. I'd LOVE to go electric if it were at all possible. Any suggestion on that? Just like seeing my options.

The only one I've used to this point is the Bayou Classic KAB4. I've been happy with it, from what Amazon reviews said its the same burner head as the Blichmann. Its all welded cast iron and so far has been solid for about 15 5 gal brews.

i have a 20 gal spike and would not want something marginal.more efficiency and less time.. $144, legs $50 for eldle If I am remembering correctly..congrats on buying a lot of new stuff last year.... I would have tried something different if I had had more patience maybe..:mug:
for 5 gal only prolly better choices

The advantage of the legs on the Blichmann burners makes it easier to transfer wort into the fermenter, but for a 5 gal batch that shouldn't be big deal. The Blichmann burners are the same height as the Banjo - unless you get the ext. legs.

I am definitely taking that in to consideration. The banjo burner sounds like a decent little burner, and is in the lead so far. I didn't think I'd need the hellfire, although 100 dollars to 150 dollars isn't going to really save me much more money (by the way, the additional legs for the hellfire aren't needed-correct?) if they are, the banjo burner doesn't appear to be very tall.

Mongoose - I have the fermonster premium kit and I upgraded the kettle with a built in stainless thermometer. I don't think I currently need anything else to continue to brew until I decide to go all grain.

I'm looking to make my decision by Friday. Banjo Burner seems to be in the lead, although I'd love to hear more people's experience with it. I'd LOVE to go electric if it were at all possible. Any suggestion on that? Just like seeing my options.

What kind of kettle do you have?

If you have a Tri-Clad kettle like the Spike V.3 or Bru-Gear you could use induction hot plate (I use them to heat my mashtun and HLT). For a 5 gal. batch you might be able to get a boil with a 120V model otherwise you'd need a 220. If you don't have a tri-clad kettle you'd have to go with a heating element inside the kettle to go electric.

I build a 3 tier wood sculpture. I made a plywood and 2/4 platform high enough that the BK sitting on my burner would drain into my fermentation vessels. I then moved to the Mash tun and made it high enough to drain into the BK, then the same for the HLT. All gravity fed and no $$ leg extensions.

If I go with a Hellfire, I will not be getting the legs. Just showing that there are options. You do not necessarily need the extensions.

It kind of comes down to how fast do you need your wort to come to a boil? My 50k BTU burner that came with a turkey fryer setup doesn't come to a boil in less than 10 minutes, but I paid $20.00 new after Thanksgiving for the burner, 7.5 gallon pot, a long stem thermometer and a cover for the pot all at Wally World. Both of my Immersion Chillers I built myself, and I have won a Best of Category with my ghetto (read cheap) home brew setup, and my burner makes enough heat to boil over my 10 gallon pot if I don't watch it closely. The last time I brewed I got 5 batches out of one 20 pound can of propane.

I build a 3 tier wood sculpture. I made a plywood and 2/4 platform high enough that the BK sitting on my burner would drain into my fermentation vessels. I then moved to the Mash tun and made it high enough to drain into the BK, then the same for the HLT. All gravity fed and no $$ leg extensions.

If I go with a Hellfire, I will not be getting the legs. Just showing that there are options. You do not necessarily need the extensions.

I used to do that also a few years ago. I'd move my 20 gal. Blichmann boil kettle where my mashtun was on my brewstation and then drain the kettle. Then I had a friend in the local brewclub build me metal stand to put my banjo burner on... Over a year ago bought the Blichmann burner with legs and took a step away from my brew session (an one less thing to lift).

oldkettle.jpg

Banjo.jpg

spike.jpg

I used to do that also a few years ago. I'd move my 20 gal. Blichmann boil kettle where my mashtun was on my brewstation and then drain the kettle. Then I had a friend in the local brewclub build me metal stand to put my banjo burner on... Over a year ago bought the Blichmann burner with legs and took a step away from my brew session (an one less thing to lift).

Nice setup.

I don't lift anything heavy, except to dump spent grain from the mash tun, until brewing is finished. Then I have to take the fermenter inside to the fermentation chamber.

I have a charcoal water filter and valve on a pex tubing line leading across the ceiling of my porch, so I just open the valve to fill the HLT, it drains into the MT, which drains into the BK, which then drains into the fermenter.

I have a KAB4 and love it, but do wish it sat a bit taller. Looks like its $80 on amazon prime right now, but they do go on sale periodically. I'm actually looking into a Avantco ic3500 induction cooktop since the house I moved into has an available outlet for it out in my brewing spot. Electric would be sweet.

I used a regular turkey fryer for 10g batches. Worked fine except it was loud and th legs were flimsy. If you don't mind the noise and have solid legs I thInk cheap burner is fine. I got tired of worrying about the weak legs and bought a used gen1 Blichman burner.....aaaaah so so quiet. Heats up faster but that wasn't a big deal to me. Just nice to b able to talk while brewing. I thInk some of those Other banjo burners are also quiet but I've never used one

Those were just some suggested ideas to ponder. In the end, it's your money, and you have the right to spend it however it pleases you.

Had a generic turkey fryer burner, then went to the older Blichmann. I thought the difference was worth it. Faster heating, and much less noise. Since then I went electric and will never go back.

The only one I've used to this point is the Bayou Classic KAB4. I've been happy with it, from what Amazon reviews said its the same burner head as the Blichmann. Its all welded cast iron and so far has been solid for about 15 5 gal brews.

Add my vote to his. Every bit as efficient as the Edelmetal one. Looks like same banjo burner in both.

Hey Brett...good to see you moving forward! I am going to throw my buddy mongoose33 right under the bus here!! Just Kidding....he is a great brewer!! He and I discussed the Hellfire and darned I drank two good stouts and ordered the Hellfire yesterday evening. LOL. Seriously, the new Hellfire is a dream burner. I already have the original top tier Blichmann burner but looking to expand. I have no clue your budget, but if you want something that is beyond quality expectations, the Blichmann burner is tops.

Thanks all! Great advice, but I expected no less from each of you. What an amazing, friendly, professional forum.

So, I'm definitely interested in the burner you suggested PADave, but I also don't want something that's really loud. Can you let me know what you think about the sound? Is it annoyingly loud?

Also, I am VERY interested in that Ivantco ic3500 electric burner. I had a couple of questions on that though. First, can it hold (without breaking) a 8 gallon kettle with 5 gallons of liquid in it? Also, does it withstand such high temperatures for an hour? Will it work on the kettle that came with my premium fermonster kit?

The hellfire is definitely overkill, but it's not out of the question. It would be if I found out the suggestion from PADave met what I was looking for.

Lastly, how safe are burners? Just curious if I need to pay attention to certain things.

So, I'm definitely interested in the burner you suggested PADave, but I also don't want something that's really loud. Can you let me know what you think about the sound? Is it annoyingly loud?

Lastly, how safe are burners? Just curious if I need to pay attention to certain things.

I can tell you just by looking at the style of burner that the one PADave posted will be much louder than the Blichmann.

Safe? All propane burners are good sized sustained open flame a few feet away from a LP tank. Some would consider that unsafe. I consider it marginally less safe than a gas grill.

Thanks all! Great advice, but I expected no less from each of you. What an amazing, friendly, professional forum.

Also, I am VERY interested in that Ivantco ic3500 electric burner. I had a couple of questions on that though. First, can it hold (without breaking) a 8 gallon kettle with 5 gallons of liquid in it? Also, does it withstand such high temperatures for an hour? Will it work on the kettle that came with my premium fermonster kit?

The hellfire is definitely overkill, but it's not out of the question. It would be if I found out the suggestion from PADave met what I was looking for.

From everything I've researched, you can do 10 gallon batches on the ic3500. Only issue is some units might be faulty, but I think there is a fix. More people seem to have success than not. If having to instal an outlet, I would do a 5500 watt element for speed, but others might be able to guide you in a better direction.

I was fine w/ a 54,000 BTU burner, so yeah, it's overkill. However, eventually I may do 10-gallon batches. I can grow with this.

How safe? How cautious are you? Do you leave them unattended? Will you touch it while hot? Hold your hand over it while it's lit?

If you use common sense, don't leave it unattended, don't have it too close to something that is flammable, and treat it with respect, such burners are "safe."

I started with a turkey fried burner and upgraded to a blichman which I found used. It also had the leg extensions. Best money I've spent on brewing other than a kegging system. It is quiet uses less gas and brings water to a boil in at least half the time. I would buy a blichman again any day.

Thanks all. Are the cheaper models of burners a lot louder than the hellfire? I have no experience with them, so I just would like to know. If it's annoyingly loud, I will get the hellfire. If not, I will go for the Bayou Classic 55,000 BTU burner (it's 100 bucks less).

I'm not afraid to go for the blichmann, but it really will need to make sense. It sounds like sound may be the big issue. The reviews on the cheaper one I mentioned above have positive things to say, no accidental flame outs, and built sturdy and strong. Either choice, I'm okay with.

Blichmann is obviously a great burner, but you don't have to spend that much to boil wort. A banjo or classic burner will still be way better than a turkey fryer. If you can afford bling, buy the hellfire. I opted to buy a KAB4 and Put the savings towards an oxygenation kit. Now I'm considering going electric...just something to consider but do what will make you enjoy your brew day the most.

Edit: I should note my KAB4 is not loud to my ears, but it's definitely nowhere near the "jet burners" some describe. You can't go wrong with the burners you listed.

I had a two burner Camp Chef stove given to me when I was still making 5gal batches and I must say (since buying an Edelmetall burner for 10gal batches) it works VERY well! I still use the Camp Chef for heating up water, but if you are really planning to stay at 5gal batches... for the money they are asking for a Camp Chef you won't be disappointed.

You aren't really going to stay at 5gal are you?! Better go with a Blichman then. Investing in the future pays dividends bro!

most brew days I heat up approx. 8 gallons for strike, 11 gallons for sparge and then a 60/90 boil. All in a keggle.

Can I drain from keggle into 7.9gall bucket with the Blichman(without leg extensons)?

Are the fuel savings very noticeable? Sorry for the highjack in advance.....:)

Thanks all. Are the cheaper models of burners a lot louder than the hellfire? I have no experience with them, so I just would like to know. If it's annoyingly loud, I will get the hellfire. If not, I will go for the Bayou Classic 55,000 BTU burner (it's 100 bucks less).

I'm not afraid to go for the blichmann, but it really will need to make sense. It sounds like sound may be the big issue. The reviews on the cheaper one I mentioned above have positive things to say, no accidental flame outs, and built sturdy and strong. Either choice, I'm okay with.

Brett, when I started BIAB it was with a turkey fryer burner, and if not mistaken, was a Bayou Classic. While a decent burner, it was darn near as loud as a jet engine preparing for takeoff. When my wife would join me in the brew cave, we literally had to shout to each other above the roar.

The Blichmann replaced it very quickly and is whisper quiet. I was bringing my wort to a boil when she walked in and asked me when I planned to light the burner off to begin the boil. Yep...its THAT quiet. Plus factoring in fuel efficiency, I figure that the propane savings alone will eventually pay for the burner. Might take some time, but the way I brew...maybe not so long after all!

Are the fuel savings very noticeable? QUOTE]

I calculate I am doing close to 5 brews per 20# propane tank with my Top Tier Blichmann and I think my new Hellfire may do even better than that. Compare to my old turkey fryer Bayou Classic where I was getting slightly over 3 brews per tank. Significant difference at least in my setup.

Note: I live in SC so my source water is never really THAT cold to bring to mash temps. This is a factor for you to compare as YMMV.

I have the Darkstar 2.0 (65,000 BTUs). For 5 gal it is more than enough. Gets to a boil really fast and it keeps a boil rolling on a relatively low flame.

most brew days I heat up approx. 8 gallons for strike, 11 gallons for sparge and then a 60/90 boil. All in a keggle.

Can I drain from keggle into 7.9gall bucket with the Blichman(without leg extensons)?

Unless your 7.9 gallon bucket is only about six inches high, the answer is no.

You'll have to either pick up the keggle to a higher level to drain it, or use a pump, or get the leg extensions, or build a stand for the Blichmann that is fireproof/fire resistant which will allow you to drain it into your bucket.

If I were to do that, I'd probably make a narrow stand out of 2x4s with a flat surface, use foil-faced insulation on top if it or maybe ceramic tiles, set the blichmann on top, and go. And I'd makes sure that the result was no warmer than warm to the touch.

I went through this with the Hellfire--do I buy the extensions or do I not? They ended up costing about $63 with shipping, and against that price I had to weigh the cost of materials to build a stand and the time and effort involved to do that.

I figured it would be about $15 in materials, two trips to the home store (one to get what I needed, the second to get what I forgot), and about 2 hours additional time.

One also has to include the additional satisfaction of building something oneself and enjoying that result. Might be worth a lot of money depending.

Of course, if one doesn't have the $63 handy, it makes building more attractive, but in the end, I decided to go w/ the engineered extensions. I'm not in the least unhappy I did that.

Back