Which Bjcp Category should i use?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phish_on2k

I'm a li'l lad who luv berries & cream!(also Mead)
Reaction score
hi all....long time lurker...first time poster

Super bummed all mead comps have been postponed or canceled...did find out that there is one going on this year as planned...i have made a Mango Habanero Mead....crazy delicious...not sure i want to part with it but I feel it will place cuz its that tasty. I would also like to have it critiqued by impartial judges to find out if i am on right track for taste. Not sure which category to enter it under.
M2D: Stone Fruit?
M3A: Fruit and Spice??
M3B: Spice, Herb or Vegetable???
M4C: Experimental????
There is no specific "Capsumel" entry for competition. I also have a Maine Apple Cyser and an Orange/Cranberry/Cinnamon(f-ing great!) To enter as well...

Anyone have a category suggestion for the Mango Habanero?

I’d do M4C Experimental because it says “characteristics may reflect combinations of the respective elements of the various sub-categories used in this style.” I take this to mean that you have components of a fruit mead and a Spice/Herb mead mixed into one. Keep in mind it “should exhibit the character of all of the ingredients in varying degrees, and should show a good blending or balance between the various flavor elements.” I take this to mean the mango and habanero should be independently identifiable, but also work well together synergistically, and the entire gestalt should also be identifiable as a honey-based beverage.

Hope this helps!

M3A is where a mango habanero mead belongs...

Declare both the mango and habanero, and it's optional to delcare the honey varietal.

M4C should only be used if it doesn't fit anywhere else, but mango habanero fits perfectly in M3A.

M3A is where a mango habanero mead belongs...

Declare both the mango and habanero, and it's optional to delcare the honey varietal.

M4C should only be used if it doesn't fit anywhere else, but mango habanero fits perfectly in M3A.
Ah, duh! Fruit and Spice is literally exactly what you’ve got haha. Not sure how I scrolled right past that. Glad I bumped the thread back up to the top for OP

Makes Perfect Sense!
I find that some of the BJCP descriptions are a little vague and can sometimes be confusing... To me anyway! I was leaning towards M3A but wasn't sure...thx!

Back