which beers age quickest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
im trying to decide what to brew next, all the waiting with my previous brews is killing me so im looking for a beer that will peak as quick as possible, im stuck between an ipa, a porter or a heffeweise beer. any thoughts on which will be ready to drink fastest?

I don't know much about IPAs or porters, so will defer on those.

Hefeweizens, however, are best enjoyed young, so if you're looking for something that doesn't need much time in the bottle, that is a good choice.

I've found IPAs seem to better with out a lot of aging. I try to drink mine fairly soon after they've fermented completely and have been dry hopped for about a week or so....... or so

I can usually turn any session beer around in 21 days. Hefeweizen, pales and even smaller IPAs as well. Darker beers tend to require longer conditioning times.

The key is to have good process and good fermentation control so extended primary/secondary is not necessary. Most of my beers reach final gravity in 10 days or so, then cold crash to clear and then bottle or keg.

Esb....(english pale ae) ferment 6-8 days at 68F, crash cold 2 days, force cab in a keg 3 days....that's very short ! They taste good too

Mozart please elaborate on how fast hefe can be ready. I also am an impatient newbie. First beer went into bottles two days ago and the two week wait to drink some is already killing me.

German hefes, American wheat beers, APAs, and IPAs come to mind. I'd imagine there's a fair amount of English beers that would turn around fast as well, but I don't have any experience with them so I will decline to comment.

If you really want a fast turnaround you need a keg. Stop messing with bottles and you can shave off a significant amount of time.

You want fast? Make a big starter, with a fast yeast, that drops out, like 007. IPA's are meant to be drank young. If you kegged that would speed things along.

Mozart please elaborate on how fast hefe can be ready. I also am an impatient newbie. First beer went into bottles two days ago and the two week wait to drink some is already killing me.

If you just bottled two days ago, you're pretty much out of luck until the bottles are carbed, which might take longer than two weeks. As others have said, if you want to drink your beers with a minimum lag time, you'll have to force carb in a keg. I can feel your pain: I've brewed two batches and I'm still waiting for my first batch to carbonate, but that's the hobby we've chosen.

If you just bottled two days ago, you're pretty much out of luck until the bottles are carbed, which might take longer than two weeks. As others have said, if you want to drink your beers with a minimum lag time, you'll have to force carb in a keg. I can feel your pain: I've brewed two batches and I'm still waiting for my first batch to carbonate, but that's the hobby we've chosen.

Oh I know. I plan on having one for the bears game sunday (6 days in bottle) and plan on it tasting like crap but am going to drink it anyway. The pipeline is in process, I brewed my second brew yesterday and plan on doing my third within the next couple days. After the first brew is ready I should have a new batch 2 or 3 times a month.

Back