Where's the hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchyMcG

Reaction score
OK, I just brewed my first partial mash a about 3 weeks ago, I am about one week in the bottle and I just tried one. It wasn't terrible, but it definately tasted sweet (hopefully the unfermented corn sugar) also, I couldn't detect any hop flavor. Is this typical for a beer that is too young? Here are the details:

American IPA

9 lbs ultralight malt
1.5 lbs crystal 15l

2 oz Magnum hops (60 minutes)
2 oz Glacier Hops (10 minutes)
2 oz Glacier Hops (1 minute)

4 oz corn sugar

1 vial White Labs American Ale Yeast

Thanks!

OK, I just brewed my first partial mash a about 3 weeks ago, I am about one week in the bottle and I just tried one. It wasn't terrible, but it definately tasted sweet (hopefully the unfermented corn sugar) also, I couldn't detect any hop flavor. Is this typical for a beer that is too young? Here are the details:

American IPA

9 lbs ultralight malt
1.5 lbs crystal 15l

2 oz Magnum hops (60 minutes)
2 oz Glacier Hops (10 minutes)
2 oz Glacier Hops (1 minute)

4 oz corn sugar

1 vial White Labs American Ale Yeast

Thanks!

You should get some really sweet citrus notes from the glacier, Id let it sit 3 more weeks and then try it.

There's no way all of those hops can go undetected. Even though the beer isn't ready yet, you should still be able to taste hops. I'll bet your IBU's are approaching 100. Give it a couple weeks and your IPA should be packed with hop flavor and aroma, not to mention bitterness.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am hoping that it is only young and will be uber-tasty in a couple of weeks. I will be sure to give the full report. Thanks again!:mug:

Back