Where's the forum for "I've been away for too long but I think I'm back?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiscoKid

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been away since 2013 based on the history of posts in these forums. Hopefully I start running into some familiar faces again. I hung up the homebrew spurs a few years back saying if I was going to do it again I was going to go all-grain, but really didn't have room where I was living unless I was going to try BIAB. Fast forward to today, I moved, have ample room in the basement, and will be picking the tires on electric brewing this weekend. And while that mashes and boils, I'll be cleaning kegs and replacing old beer lines in the kegerator.

Hey Cisco, I am new here too. Nice to meet you. Cheers and hope the home brewing goes well!

Yoooo! I just got back too!

Welcome back, @CiscoKid. Let's see what you got brewing!

Welcome back. I took the first foray into all-grain this weekend. 3 batches, each with a bit different of an issue:

1) Pumpkin Spiced Ale (Friday). Man did I not get anywhere near the efficiency I was looking for. I expected to have an OG around 1.052 and instead ended up around 1.040. Adjusting for temperature generously on the reading, maybe 1.043. That said, the starter had been active and looked really healthy. I was surprised when I heard the airlock bubbling within an hour of pitching.

2) Blue Moon Clone (Saturday). I made sure to take my time mashing in and getting everything mixed and making sure everything was wet, no doughballs, etc. Nailed my expected OG. On this one the starter looked sluggish/not active. No signs of any activity. Pitched it. 48 hours later, I'm still at my OG. Made a next day air order for some Belgian Ale yeast. Hopefully it gets here before something else decides it's got plenty of room to make a foothold in there. (Saturday)

3) Irish Red (Saturday). In Goldilocks form, so far this one seems "just right." OG was a little lower than expect but not by much. Starter looked good. It's happily doing its thing at the moment.

Of course, they might all be great or they might all be crap - we'll know once the important part is done - the fermentation.

Hi all, I've been away since 2013 based on the history of posts in these forums. Hopefully I start running into some familiar faces again. I hung up the homebrew spurs a few years back
same. haven't been on this forum for about the same amount of time. haven't brewed in about two years, then about 40 gallons in the past 8 weeks. :rock:

Back