Where's my carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dome555

Reaction score
I kegged my Chinook IPA a week and a day ago, hooked it up to the CO2 and left both the keg and CO2 tank in the minifridge. I was expecting to be able to drink some of this otherwise delicious beer last night and found almost no carbonation. I released a little pressure to make sure there was pressure going to the keg, checked the connections, checked the gauges, everything was good except the beer. My tank has gotten low, 5lb tank at 38F reading about 500psi but the reg still reads 11psi going through it.

I've got the reg set at 11psi, the temp at 38F and 4' of tubing between the keg and tap which is about a foot above the keg. Still relatively new to kegging so if it sounds like I'm just doing something very silly there's a good chance that I am and would love to know. The plan as of now is to give it a little shake and let it sit for another week but I'm anxious to drink this thing and don't want to end up waiting another several weeks because I should have exchanged the CO2 tank.

If the tank is in the kegerator it will show low as cold affects the reading, that's normal. The set it and forget method takes two to three weeks to fully carb. If you can be patient, it will happen. If not crank it up and shake the crap out of it, then you can wonder why you're pouring glass after glass of foam.

_

Yeah, I knew this was just me being over anxious and a little paranoid. It's just that I had had enough carbonation after a week to make my previous beers drinkable and in this one, nada.

Carbonation is probably linear, but I could sweat it starts slow and accelerates to the 3 week point. That or I drink too much.

Back