Where to source apples/juice Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratocruiser

Reaction score
I live in North Texas and looking to take my cider production to the next level this fall. I no longer want to buy pasteurized apple juice from stores or farmers markets. I would like to do one of the following:

Source unpasteurized apple juice with known varieties
Choose my own apples and have a mill press them for me
Choose my own apple and press them myself

Cider apples and orchards carrying a good variety in Texas seem to be slim. Where do you Texans source your apples or juice?

I'm wondering if I have to wait until my next visit in Iowa to visit family and bring back tons of apples, or have juice from there.

"North Texas" is a big area. I googled "texas apple orchard" and found orchards in Idalou, Wichita Falls, Roanoke, Daingerfield and Pittsburg.

However, the only one advertising unpasteurized cider was a co-op down in Austin. There is also an orchard in Medina that says it never got cold enough this winter for the trees so they have NO apples this year. Hopefully, the whole state didn't suffer like that.

I'm in Dallas. I see there are a few orchards in the area. When I look at their varieties, most are not known for making good cider.

I live in an apple growing area and have been to over 100 orchards, looking for decent cider apples or at least antique multi purpose varieties.
You find some here and there, and I've made some OK cider, but its just not worth all the running around. Farmers want to grow what sells easily, the old time varieties have mostly been pushed over to make room for honey crisp and pink lady. Most growers pick their apples before they are ripe so they don't spoil while waiting to be sold. Under ripe apples produce a high acid cider that I don't care for.
I've finally given up hunting around and started planting a collection of cider apple trees.
The chances of finding any cider apples in Texas is about zero. If you're up for a road trip, there are some growers in the Branson, MO. area.
Eating varieties to try in a blend include Jonathan, Jonagold, Braeburn, Winesap and Braeburn. Red Delicious makes a bland juice but can be used in a blend. Apples like Granny Smith or other tart varieties should be kept to about 10%.
If you can find any crab apples use them in the mix.

I live in an apple growing area and have been to over 100 orchards, looking for decent cider apples or at least antique multi purpose varieties.
You find some here and there, and I've made some OK cider, but its just not worth all the running around. Farmers want to grow what sells easily, the old time varieties have mostly been pushed over to make room for honey crisp and pink lady. Most growers pick their apples before they are ripe so they don't spoil while waiting to be sold. Under ripe apples produce a high acid cider that I don't care for.
I've finally given up hunting around and started planting a collection of cider apple trees.
The chances of finding any cider apples in Texas is about zero. If you're up for a road trip, there are some growers in the Branson, MO. area.
Eating varieties to try in a blend include Jonathan, Jonagold, Braeburn, Winesap and Braeburn. Red Delicious makes a bland juice but can be used in a blend. Apples like Granny Smith or other tart varieties should be kept to about 10%.
If you can find any crab apples use them in the mix.

Thanks for the reply, and that's what I assumed. I have family in Iowa and was thinking about bringing back apples from there on my next visit. I actually do like high acid ciders, but my other concern is not having enough sugar in the apples here. I'd like to try some Arkansas Black, but I don't know if it's sweet enough as a single varietal.

Back