Where to put the probe (3 buckets)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399752700.627470.jpg

Currently the probe is in a thermowell in the middle bucket (on the left).

Is there a better place?

64F / Nottingham / 1.063 OG

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Which bucket went in there first and how long has it been there? How about the second bucket and the third? Did you brew them all in one day?

If they are all the same batch, then that is where I would put it. Can you take those shelves out and put them at the same level?

Just took a infrared temp reading.... the two buckets at the top are 68F and the one on the bottom is 66F.

The probe is reading 62F.

I've used Nottingham a lot, so I guess I am comfortable with that.

Just wondering if there is a better procedure for my new fridge (for 15 gallon batches ).

I am satisfied with this arrangement and probe location for now.

With these buckets I can't get all three at the same level. But after the fermentation kicked off overnight and the fridge is running less they have all equalized to the same temp. (Theremowell reading is 62F, all buckets read 66F with an Infrared Theremometer) Is that really how much temperature gradient there is in a bucket? Or am I getting a bad reading?

I think the initial temp difference was caused by cold air falling to the bottom of the fridge. The fridge ran constantly at first since I was only able to chill to 81F (with my Blichmann Therminator Plate Chiller). It was a warm day and my water temp was 68F when I started brewing at 6am... probably warmer when I was chilling at 10:30am.

Back