Where to proceed from here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_Mouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an experimental beer. I added 8# of tangerine juice and pulp (approximately 1 gallon in volume) to an Amber Ale 3 days into primary fermentation in an attempt to retain as much of the tangerine flavor as possible.

I just cracked the hood on it... I think I used a little too much of the peel (used 8oz of fresh peel factoring drying it would have resulted in approximately 2oz) it is a beautiful clear golden ale with a distinct orange hue to it, retained a significant amount of the tangerine taste, but is as bitter as most IPAs. Started at 1.065 and finished at 1.003! It is definitely a high alcohol beer, but severely bitter and extremely dry. Biggest lessen with this experiment is that adding just juice after primary has started is absolutely the right thing to do. Adding the pulp is not a very bright idea! :( 45 minutes after adding the pulp and juice (run through a blender with vodka to sanitize it), the pulp clogged the hood and blow off tube (needless to say, it painted the entire inside of my fermentation closet) ejecting about 3/4 of a gallon of the fleshy pulp.

Which leaves me with a question or two...

1) Has anyone ever back sweetened an ale? If so, what was the result?

or...

2) Since it is so bitter (been a long time since I've had an ESB, so I'm not sure if it would classify as one). Would dry hopping this and calling it a IIPA since it's 8.2% be a better option? It isn't dark enough to be an American Red or Amber, but it has a very beautiful golden orange color...

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Is the bitterness from the orange pith? I am guessing so. If so, it can age out but it may take a long time for that to happen. (Up to 6 months.)

Is the bitterness from the orange pith? I am guessing so. If so, it can age out but it may take a long time for that to happen. (Up to 6 months.)

I used Tangerine peel, not Orange peel. There is very little pith on Tangerine peels, but the bitterness is from a combination of the CTZ hops and the Tangerine Peel.

Back