Where to find kegs available for conversions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
I am new to the world of HB and would love get some kegs for use as kettles (keggles). Can anyone suggest a good source. I am in the Portland area. I would think that kegs would be falling from the sky. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well if you want a nice legally purchased keg then I would guess that hitting the major distributors of beer. They will probably have kegs that are not up to code, but would be fine to cut up and boil wort in.

For a more legally gray type of keg acquisition surf Craigslist and wait for a keg to pop up. There is also a guy who advertises keg cutting services a couple times a month.

This is were I got mine $30 each - I got them immediately, no wait. Widmer in Portland has a wait list and as I recall is $45 each.

[email protected]
Doug Cameron
Operations Assistant
Full Sail Brewing Company
506 Columbia Street
Hood River, OR 97031
541-387-7203

Hey guys, I really appreciate the pointers. I work in NW PDX, I am surrounded by breweries, I should be able to find a few boil worthy kegs!;)

not as easy as you'd think, but they are out there. I've been on the Widmer list forever and no calls. Craigslist and the many scrapyards around town are your best bet. I may have an extra coming soon if you can get a 1/4 barrel "slim" for me.

also in portland, looking for kegs... my question... what do you want to know about the kegs before you buy them? any major problems to look out for?

I just snagged one off Craigslist for 35 bucks. It included a tapper. Not sure what the hell to do with that...

I'll confirm Widmer. I got my first 2 there with no wait. Waited about 6 months to get the second 2, but I also bugged them every month to get updates. Just call/email around and you'll find one.

You might try and ask local beer stores too. I have been having a hard time finding kegs as well.

Just the other day though I responded to a craigslist posting of a guy who buys keg shells. I told him i did not have any but I want to buy some from him. Turns out he is a liquor store owner in denver. He resells the kegs he gets. I offered him $30 each for two. He says he sells them for $35 but he would do it for $30 because I was a home brewer.

Not sure what other people buy them for. Maybe college kids so they don't have to pay 50+ for a keg deposit. Not sure.

Anyone had any luck with breweries in the Seattle area? I've emailed everyone under the sun and regularly watch Craigslist.

OK, so I just picked up a nice Sanke keg off of craigslist. It has been in storage for an unknown amount of time. The keg is untapped, completely full.

It is a darn shame to dump a keg of microbrew. I will be sure to have a moment of silence as I do the deed.

there is a finished keggle on Portland CL right now for 55$. He's also got some other sutff you might want to check out. I thought about scooping it up b/c it is a good deal, but I can't bring more kegs home....

OK, so I just picked up a nice Sanke keg off of craigslist. It has been in storage for an unknown amount of time. The keg is untapped, completely full.

It is a darn shame to dump a keg of microbrew. I will be sure to have a moment of silence as I do the deed.

:(:(:( bummer. You will just need to dedicate your first brew to the deed.

So how nasty will the beer in this keg be? Or will it simply be aged for better or worse?

Latest posts

Back