Where to find coolers in the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinsu

Reaction score
I've been reading up here since I want to switch from PG to AG soon and I was thinking of picking up the 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. None of the local hardware places/big box stores have much in stock so I tried to order it from Ace Hardware. The canceled my order, said they couldn't get it. Is there a source for these in the winter time that isn't too expensive?

If you go with a rectangular one, most Wal-Marts have a limited supply they keep through the winter.

US Plastic Corp if you don't mind ordering online. I've ordered from this company many times and I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

This is a Rubbermaid brand water cooler, the same cylindrical cooler you would find at the store, and it looks to be priced about the same too. I use the 5 gallon one for my AG batches. I didn't link it, but they also have rectangular Rubbermaid coolers as well.

I just built a MLT out of a 45 qt. Rubbermaid cooler I got at Home Depot for $33. This is a pic but you can't really see the outside well. It's a blue cube with wheels and a split lid, they had them off to the side along the wall with seasonal stuff.

I get mine at Walmart..Kmart..wherever. They seem to always have them. I just got another one not too long ago at walmart.

I guess I should also say I use rectangular coolers.

home depot should have the standard 10 gallon rubbermaid for around $40, just bought one myself a couple of weeks ago

Home Depot *always* has those coolers around. Contractors buy them a lot, so many of the HDs stock them in the section reserved for "industrial" purchases.

Make sure at HD you ask an associate to look in the stock that has been wrapped and put away for the season. I had to have someone get the steps and climb to the top of the shelf and rip open a pallet wrapped in plastic. They had a good 5 ten gallons and 15 - 5 gallons up there...this was just a couple weeks ago so your store might do the same.

My wallmart has tons of coolers in the gardening section year round. Not sure if they move them during x-mas season

Just picked up the 50 qt Igloo Ice Cube at Target, the one w/o wheels or drain.

If you're determined to get the Rubbermaid 10 gal beverage, in addition to the above mentioned, you might try a big box sporting goods store or there's always craigslist.

Thanks for all the help, I did find the 10 gallon coolers at Home Depot, only $39.99 too. I didn't think they'd be there since Lowes doesn't seem to stock coolers in the winter. And I found the right size washers at Ace, now I just need to figure out if they are stainless since they weren't labeled.

Back