Where to find cheep bulk 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best deal would be as part of a group grain buy... You can usually get it crushed for just a few dollars more. Otherwise, you'll need to shop around to see who can get it to you, crushed, cheaper than the LHBS... The main issue will be shipping costs on 50# of grain.

Personally, I'd just get enough crushed base malt for one or two batches at a time.

Morebeer has some decent prices on base grains, and free shipping after a certain point ($59?). Just ordered 30# in 10# increments a few weeks back for ~$1.10/lb...

I've found the best place to get bulk malt is the LHBS. For me, it's much cheaper than buying on-line and paying for shipping.
Are you sure you want to get 50# crushed 2 row? Once the malt is crushed, it should be used as quickly ad possible, and 50# would take me about 10 - 12 weeks to get through. I don't know, but I would think that 10 week old crushed malt would be rather stale. When I started getting bulk malt, I bought a grain mill so I could crush it myself. The grain mill paid for itself within 6 months, and that was many years ago.

-a.

+1 for checking LHBS. We do "bulk grain buys" in the fall and spring. They take orders for a month or so until they fill up a few palets worth of orders. I got cheap 2row for $35 a sack

+1 for the group buys. Check the group buy section of this forum for any in your area. We just got done with one in Chicago and I ended up with 2 55# sacks of 2-row for ~$27 each.

Ask around your local breweries. I have been paying $31.00 for Briess 2 row. I just found another Brewery that will sell for $30 plus I got a 10% discount (homebrew club card)so $27.00 no tax it's a food item.. 54¢ a lb. You will have to do your own checking around.

Yep, group buys are going to beat the LHBS, but you won't get it crushed, and if you really need a sack or two tomorrow, you're not going to get it with a group buy. If you live out in the boonies, you're not likely to be able to participate in a group buy.

-a.

Yep, group buys are going to beat the LHBS, but you won't get it crushed, and if you really need a sack or two tomorrow, you're not going to get it with a group buy. If you live out in the boonies, you're not likely to be able to participate in a group buy.

1. If you're planning on using grain tomorrow, you should already have it.
2. Living in the boonies doesn't exclude you from participating in a group grain buy. We had people from three states actually take part in the one we had earlier this year.

I picked up grain for a couple of people, with my small truck, which wasn't an issue. With a little coordination, you can get your sacks of better priced grain.

To get one of the sacks of grain I got via the group buy, it would have cost me double what I ended up paying from the LHBS...

IF you don't want to get a grain mill yet, then don't... But, I wouldn't get a full sack of crushed grain unless I KNEW it was going to be completely gone within 2 months. Otherwise, just order it up online, or pay more per pound from the LHBS for what you need each brew day... I just wouldn't get crushed grains that will be opened and not all used in a single brew, or quickly...

I guess I'll probably rule out buying in bulk since I don't have a grain crusher and won't use it up that fast. I really wish I had a local brewing supply store so I wouldn't have to order everything!

Back