Where to eat, drink, sleep in Portland, OR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
SWMBO and I will be doing a week in Seattle and Portland in November. I've been to Seattle a bunch of times and know the town fairly well, but never to Portland, so obvioulsy looking forward to visiting Rogue, Deschutes...and the countless others I'll try to cram in over 48 hours. Also would like to find a few great brewpubs that serve up the good west coast stuff I can't get my hands in here on the third coast.

So help a brotha out... where to go, good restaurants, good pubs? Any good vegetarian options somewhere (SWMBO is a veggie)? Most importantly...can anyone recommend a good, fairly priced hotel that is central to the beer scene. We likely won't spend a lot of time there, so nice bed, clean, quiet room is what we're looking for.

I've been looking up plenty of places online, but figured I'd see if any locals had the scoop.

THANKS in advance.

Rogue has a public house down on the waterfront, but I don't know about Deschutes. The PDX Quality inn (on Sandy Blvd) is clean/decent/affordable.(free airport shuttle) Its within a short cab/tri-met ride to Alameda ( crab bisque is great), Concordia, Laurelwood, McMenamins Kennedy School (only mediocre beer, but cool location). Be sure to check out the HorseBrass Pub and Hair of the Dog.

Mike, those are on 82nd Ave, and on Burnside.

Or so I hear. Brewtopia hit that nail right on the head, all those places he listed are excellent. I've been to the Rogue public house, it's awesome. The Horsebrass is about as authentic an English pub you can get. Belmont Station is an excellent bottle shop. You can get more recommendations here. Did I mention I love living here? :D :D :D

Did I mention I love living here? :D :D :D

Great.
Now I'm homesick again.

Ok.. Here is what I did on my last trip home.

Took MAX ( light rail ) from the airport to the Hotel Room -- White Eagle.

Visit family over lunch at the Widmer Gasthaus.

Headed to Pearl District for shoplifting and beer-- Rogue Public House. Henry's 12th St. etc.

Back to White Eagle for a night of live music and finally, stumbled upstairs ( avoided the ghost ) and slept great.

Max to airport --- back to my Exile in California.

-------

If all goes well, I'll be moving back soon.
Waiting to find out if SWMBO gets laid off or not.

I applied for a job in Portland and ended up in Spokane. :drunk:

Portland is pretty much my dream city, I visit a couple times a year.

I'm make it there....hopefully sooner than later :)

Rogue has a public house down on the waterfront,

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rogue has anything on the river. Rogue is in the Pearl as is Deschutes and Bridgeport. There's the McCormick's/Full Sail Pilsner room on the waterfront.

Blow and Hookers are indeed on 82nd.

I highly suggest checking out Hopworks Urban Brewery on Powell.

looking at portlandbeer.org, I think we'll definitely be hitting the Pearl district. Anyone know of a decent hotel I can stumble back to in that area?

Although not technically IN the Pearl district, my wife and I spent a night last fall at the Hotel Monaco, which is walking distance to the Pearl District. We had a great stay there, plus it's VERY dog friendly, and by the time we left the day, nearly all of the hotel staff knew our two dogs by name.

We live in Seattle, and just went down to Portland for Saturday and Sunday to go to some new (i.e. non-Seattle) breweries and brewpubs. Have fun!

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rogue has anything on the river. Rogue is in the Pearl as is Deschutes and Bridgeport. There's the McCormick's/Full Sail Pilsner room on the waterfront.

Blow and Hookers are indeed on 82nd.

I highly suggest checking out Hopworks Urban Brewery on Powell.

Awesome place, went there last time I was in town. Great food too!

Back