Where the heck are the 3-4 gal SS conical Fermenter!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
I am moving to smaller scale brewing after my years of 5 and 10 gallon batches. Has anyone seen a 3-4 gallon conical SS fermenter? The smallest I have seen is a 7 gallon, almost double what I need.

Thanks so much for your imput.

I haven't seen any SS ones. I'd like to find one tho. I just posted in the equipment forum that Fast Ferment has an ad for a 3 gallon conical but no idea when and where it's available. I sent an email to them yesterday but I haven't heard back yet.

That's unfortunate to hear. If anyone else has any ideas that would be great.

Keep us posted Nokie!

Thanks

Have you considered fermenting in a keg? A 5-gal commercial keg with a Brewer's Hardware sanke conversion kit would work. I do 10-gallon batches in a 15.5 gallon keg, and the kit allows me to transfer under CO2 pressure through the racking cane, so I never have to move the fermenter once the beer is in it. While it's not as convenient as a conical (where you can dump the trub), I get pretty clean transfers as I can adjust the height of the racking cane to avoid picking up trub.

Alternatively, a 5 gallon corny keg would be easy to come by. If you wanted to go smaller, they do make the 3 gallon corny kegs as well.

I just got an email from Fast Ferment. They said about 2 months out. They look pretty sweet for $49.99

For that size there isn't much of a market for stainless steel ones. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one. Even $49.99 is a lot.

Have you considered fermenting in a keg? A 5-gal commercial keg with a Brewer's Hardware sanke conversion kit would work. I do 10-gallon batches in a 15.5 gallon keg, and the kit allows me to transfer under CO2 pressure through the racking cane, so I never have to move the fermenter once the beer is in it. While it's not as convenient as a conical (where you can dump the trub), I get pretty clean transfers as I can adjust the height of the racking cane to avoid picking up trub.

Alternatively, a 5 gallon corny keg would be easy to come by. If you wanted to go smaller, they do make the 3 gallon corny kegs as well.

5 gallon kegs are the ultimate fermenters for 3-4 gallon batches. Stainless, cheap, easy transfers, etc. Bend or cut the dip tube a bit to leave sediment behind. I have two kegs dedicated for when I brew smaller batches. Then, I just jump to a 3 gallon keg for serving.

Agree with everyone that says use a corny keg for 3-4 gallon batches. For $30-40, you can't go wrong. You can open the lid to throw in dry hops, cocao nibs, fruit or other flavorful items, connect a picnic tap to pull a sample, do closed transfers and if you cut the dip tube short you could just serve in the same keg you ferment in.

+1 on the 5 gallon cornies. That's my go to and I brew 3 gal almost exclusively. If i dont have any post boil hop additions, I'll dump hot to the keg, seal it, and throw it in the pool to chill.

I know it was mentioned but why not the SS brewbucket mini? Seems exactly like what you're looking for?
I'm curious about the corny fermenter, I'd read that wasn't an ideal vessel shape for fermentation, anyone noticed differences b/w fermenting in one compared to a carboy?

I know it was mentioned but why not the SS brewbucket mini? Seems exactly like what you're looking for?

I'm curious about the corny fermenter, I'd read that wasn't an ideal vessel shape for fermentation, anyone noticed differences b/w fermenting in one compared to a carboy?

Many ferment in corny kegs without issue. You would see some differences in fermentation from a wide surface area in a carboy to a tall cylinder but it wouldn't be detrimental per se. Conical fermentors are similar is shape to kegs.

Great! Looks like I'll be in the market for some cornys.
Do you dry hop in them using bags or just toss them in? Will it still seal if you've got a string holding a bag?

Do you dry hop in them using bags or just toss them in? Will it still seal if you've got a string holding a bag?

You have a few options. Keg lube and dental floss and a hop bag should seal in a keg.

You can cut 1/2" -1" off the dip tube with a little pipe cutter. That will raise the tube above the hops and yeast. Some girls do that and then transfer to another clean keg for serving. That's offers a few benefits, clean beer and more importantly you you can rack beer with co2 and reduce o2 exposure!

A lot of people do something along the lines of the link below ..... basically, I think it is good to shorten the dip tube to get above the trub. But, in addition, fitting the dip tube with some type of screen/filter system is a great way to go. Lets you throw the dry hops in loose, but then still transfer clean beer.

Just throwing hops in (in a large quantity) with no filter mechanism is probably doomed to clogged posts when transferring.

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html

Nothing wrong with using SS 7 gal brew buckets. I have two, and put 2.5-3.5 gal batches in them. Then, when you get the urge to do a 5 gal batch you won't be kicking yourself for not buying one.

Use a 5 gallon keg. Cut a dip tube by 1.5 ish inches with a cheap tube cutter. Dry hop in it without a bag. When it comes time to transfer you may have hop gunk up in your dip tube and post - so unscrew & remove/clean them then reattach. I have yet to encounter a problem doing it this way. After a good 2-3 day cold crash, the hops have fallen to the bottom of the keg so there's nothing to gunk up the dip tube when transferring.

If you really, really need to use a conical design (biggest advantage being harvesting yeast) look to Blichmann and their cornical fermenter, which is a modification of the standard 5 gallon corny keg. That being said...

When your batch is so small (2 gallon?) that a 5 gallon fermenter is too big for you, is yeast reuse really something important?

I use the 3.5 ssbrewtech mini. It works really well for my space.

To the users of cornet kegs, how do you set up a blow off hose or air lock?

5 gallon kegs are the ultimate fermenters for 3-4 gallon batches. Stainless, cheap, easy transfers, etc. Bend or cut the dip tube a bit to leave sediment behind. I have two kegs dedicated for when I brew smaller batches. Then, I just jump to a 3 gallon keg for serving.

The one and ONLY downside to fermenting in a keg is if you want to top crop the yeast, it isn't very practical. I ferment in kegs for my half batches, but I love doing 5 gallon batches in a bucket with the lid on loose for the first few days and skimming/top cropping fresh yeast. I only do this with yeasts like 1007, 1318, and 3068.

But yeah, ferment in a keg dude! Bend the dip tube so it sits about 2 or so inches off the bottom. Perfect.

Gas disconnect plus tube into a mason jar of starsan for blowoff from a corny keg.

Use of corny keg fermentation makes it super easy to take gravity samples. Disconnect the gas blowoff, wait 15, attach black liquid disconnect and party tap, pour a few drops.

Back